cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Hard Pull be disputed on a credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a Hard Pull be disputed on a credit report?

I had a situation with BoA where they pulled me twice because the first time the CRA had erroneously removed my phone number from my fraud alert. I had to get it readded and they had to pull again.

I wrote a letter to BoA EO asking to recode the second pull as a soft pull and they did.

Message 11 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately there is probably nothing they will do.  I had an instance where the lady told me it was a soft pull.  I said are you sure?  She said yes.  I asked if she knew the difference between a hard and a soft pull?  She said yes.  I asked again if she knew for certain it was a soft pull and she assured me it was most definitely a soft pull.  I asked for and got a CLI, none had been ever given me in the years I had the card.  I thanked her and spoke with her for a moment or two more and while doing that I got the hard pull alert.  I informed her about it and asked how could it be a hard pull when I assuredly was told it would not be and had even verified she understood the difference and she had confirmed with me again it was only a hard pull.  She apologized.  I told her an apology was not what I needed, what I needed was the hard pull being removed.

Long story short and a few supervisors later and executive office people later I got it worked out to get the pull removed.  I went through the normal excuses, sorry but there is nothing can be done, you asked we gave and even though we gave wrong information it would stay there.  I kept pushing it and made certain it was removed.  I did not take silly offers to keep the credit limit and the hard pull.  Yeah, they actually had the gall to basically coerce me into keeping the limit.  I told them that if their customer service was so messed up that even though the hard pull reflected that I could get a limit increase and they were not going to stand behind what I was told, then so be it.  Keep  your bad customer service and remove the limit and the hard pull.  And they did exactly that.  It was an ordeal.  At one point the person who offered to let me keep the CLI even called me back a few times to see if I changed my mind about keeping both the new limit and hard pull.  I told her the first time that my mind would not change and to simply take both away and if she thought in the future I would change my mind she was completely mistaken.  She kept trying and I kept telling her that she was simply making a bad situation worse by proving that not only could I not trust the bank, I couldn't trust her to understand what I kept telling her and that what I was telling her would not change.

I would push it, but they are hard core about how they treat customers and their rules, even if they did the wrong thing.  Don't look at it as wasting your time, look at it as getting them to do and say the right things in the right way.  

The rep probably meant that you could ask again in a few months not days or like mine did not know what she was talking about.  Some banks policy is that if you ask, then you can't ask again in 3 to 6 months.  They certainly don't consider the fact that they just pulled a report and use that same report.  They are not a bank that looks at the recent pull to make decisions.  Some banks will look at the same report for up to a week to make decisions on multiple cards.  

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TiggerDat wrote:

Unfortunately there is probably nothing they will do.  I had an instance where the lady told me it was a soft pull.  I said are you sure?  She said yes.  I asked if she knew the difference between a hard and a soft pull?  She said yes.  I asked again if she knew for certain it was a soft pull and she assured me it was most definitely a soft pull.  I asked for and got a CLI, none had been ever given me in the years I had the card.  I thanked her and spoke with her for a moment or two more and while doing that I got the hard pull alert.  I informed her about it and asked how could it be a hard pull when I assuredly was told it would not be and had even verified she understood the difference and she had confirmed with me again it was only a hard pull.  She apologized.  I told her an apology was not what I needed, what I needed was the hard pull being removed.

Long story short and a few supervisors later and executive office people later I got it worked out to get the pull removed.  I went through the normal excuses, sorry but there is nothing can be done, you asked we gave and even though we gave wrong information it would stay there.  I kept pushing it and made certain it was removed.  I did not take silly offers to keep the credit limit and the hard pull.  Yeah, they actually had the gall to basically coerce me into keeping the limit.  I told them that if their customer service was so messed up that even though the hard pull reflected that I could get a limit increase and they were not going to stand behind what I was told, then so be it.  Keep  your bad customer service and remove the limit and the hard pull.  And they did exactly that.  It was an ordeal.  At one point the person who offered to let me keep the CLI even called me back a few times to see if I changed my mind about keeping both the new limit and hard pull.  I told her the first time that my mind would not change and to simply take both away and if she thought in the future I would change my mind she was completely mistaken.  She kept trying and I kept telling her that she was simply making a bad situation worse by proving that not only could I not trust the bank, I couldn't trust her to understand what I kept telling her and that what I was telling her would not change.

I would push it, but they are hard core about how they treat customers and their rules, even if they did the wrong thing.  Don't look at it as wasting your time, look at it as getting them to do and say the right things in the right way.  

The rep probably meant that you could ask again in a few months not days or like mine did not know what she was talking about.  Some banks policy is that if you ask, then you can't ask again in 3 to 6 months.  They certainly don't consider the fact that they just pulled a report and use that same report.  They are not a bank that looks at the recent pull to make decisions.  Some banks will look at the same report for up to a week to make decisions on multiple cards.  

As you said, they will recode/remove if you go through the EO.

Message 13 of 17
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

A representative may say they can remove hard inquiries - but I am not sure that is possible.

In December of 2015 I received a letter from PenFed admitting no inquiry had been authorized by me and had instructed Equifax to remove it. An inquiry is an inquiry so Equifax did not remove it. However, it was recoded as a soft inquiry because I did not authorize it nor was I seeking credit with PenFed.

The only reason I knew it was not removed is that I acquired an official credit report from Equifax - CRA reports show soft and hard inquiries. It was still there but, under the SP category.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

A representative may say they can remove hard inquiries - but I am not sure that is possible.

In December of 2015 I received a letter from PenFed admitting no inquiry had been authorized by me and had instructed Equifax to remove it. An inquiry is an inquiry so Equifax did not remove it. However, it was recoded as a soft inquiry because I did not authorize it nor was I seeking credit with PenFed.

The only reason I knew it was not removed is that I acquired an official credit report from Equifax - CRA reports show soft and hard inquiries. It was still there but, under the SP category.

They cannot manually remove them in their system, only recode them. However, they can send a letter of deletion to the CRA to request for it to be deleted from your file, and the CRA will remove it.

Message 15 of 17
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

They cannot manually remove them in their system, only recode them. However, they can send a letter of deletion to the CRA to request for it to be deleted from your file, and the CRA will remove it.

Yes - PenFed did just that - sent a letter to Equifax explicitly requesting deletion. I have a letter from PenFed to that effect. However, Equifax didnot delete the inquiry - just reclassified it from a HP to a SP.

I saw the HP disappear from my Credit Karma summary report and thought it had been removed. However, when I got a report direct from Equifax I saw it had only been reclassified. Not a big deal since SPs have no impact on score and certainly not worth any added effort .

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird with the no use reason
I have a Bank of America credit card.
NEVER used it.
Requested a hp cli. And was granted a $3800 increase.

still have not used the card

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.