cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Law Firm file a judgment for an unlicensed CA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a Law Firm file a judgment for an unlicensed CA?

Bear with me as I am relatively new at all of this. Can a Law Firm file a judgment for a collection agency that is not licensed in your state? I received a letter from a Law Firm with a copy of a default judgment against me for Unifund Partners. I checked with the Department of Financial Institutions for Nevada and Unifund is not licensed to do business here. So, is this a valid judgment? I never received any documentation that I was even being sued.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a Law Firm file a judgment for an unlicensed CA?

if the lawyer that obtained the judgment in NV is a member of the NV bar then YES.  Many CAs will go this route when they aren't licensed they hire someone who can conduct business there.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to contact the courthouse right away and get copies of all the judgment documents. pay particular attention to the "service" documentation. If you never received the notice, they shouldn't have been able to proceed. in most states, it has to be hand delivered or delivered via CMRRR. check it out, it will only cost a couple bucks for copies. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lady_Scarlet wrote:
if the lawyer that obtained the judgment in NV is a member of the NV bar then YES.  Many CAs will go this route when they aren't licensed they hire someone who can conduct business there.

So it is legal for a lawyer to represent a unlicensed CA in your state(if your state requires licensing) and they can get a judgement for you?

That is unreal, the CA is still doing the collecting, the lawyer just represents them in court.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I concur-
This is legal and oftem the only legal why (other than being licensed) to collect.

The licensing fees for CA's is pretty expensive in some states- many by the # of collectors-  

sidewinder wrote:

Lady_Scarlet wrote:

So it is legal for a lawyer to represent a unlicensed CA in your state(if your state requires licensing) and they can get a judgement for you?

That is unreal, the CA is still doing the collecting, the lawyer just represents them in court.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.