cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a credit card company change the payment history?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a credit card company change the payment history?

I had credit one for some time, I am sure I was late on a payment or two... well, when closing my account they brought it to my attention that I have been late in the past.

My credit report shows that I have been on time for the last 4 years, is it possible that they can change the history now that I have closed my accounts?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a credit card company change the payment history?

Yes they can. They can report anything that is accurate. If you were more than 30 days late at any point in the last 7 years it can be added to your report even if they weren’t reporting it before.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmmm thanks...

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

what exactly would changing my payment history consist of? A simple click, or being "audited"?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They would just submit an update to the credit bureau showing the late payments. Keep in mind though, you have to be over 30 days late for them to be able to report you as being late.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah I was, multiple times I am sure, but they always reported as being on time payments, never any lates... doesn't make sense, I never thought anything of it because it was in my favor. Until now, when they are mentioning things and talking weird like they are going to update the system all of a sudden, because I closed my cards

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s shady of them to do it but it’s well within their rights to do so. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, we'll see what happens on the 18th and 23rd when they report...
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it is looking good, both of the credit one cards are starting to show up as:

Credit line closed-consumer request-reported by subscriber

Account closed at consumer's request

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.