cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a paid charge-off be added back to a credit report after it was deleted?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a paid charge-off be added back to a credit report after it was deleted?

A paid charge-off was removed from my DH's credit report after a dispute.  I am going to talk to the original creditor in regards to removing them off of the other two bureaus, because they have remained on the report after the initial dispute.  However, if the original creditor declines my request, can they put the charge-off back on the bureau that it was deleted from?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can a paid charge-off be added back to a credit report after it was deleted?

@Anonymous wrote:

A paid charge-off was removed from my DH's credit report after a dispute.  I am going to talk to the original creditor in regards to removing them off of the other two bureaus, because they have remained on the report after the initial dispute.  However, if the original creditor declines my request, can they put the charge-off back on the bureau that it was deleted from?

Yes if it was a legitimate record (not an error).  CO mark and closed $0 would be the correct reporting status presumably from what you describe, and if it was an error in reporting status, dispute on the other two.

Odds are they won't update though on a closed tradeline but it's possible they might update with all bureaus which isn't in your best interest.

        
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can a paid charge-off be added back to a credit report after it was deleted?

FCRA 611(a)(5)(B) governs the reinsertion of information that was previously deleted based on a dispute.

Deletion is not permanent.  The goal is that information that is disputed must be corrected or verified.  If not, it must be deleted until it is verified or corrected.

If verification is provided at a later time, it can be reinserted.

If the reporting includes a certification of accuracy of the information, then it can be reinserted.  The CRA must then send a notice to the consumer that it has been reinserted.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.