Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone help ease my mind with this credit score please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone help ease my mind with this credit score please

Hey eveyone. So I checked my credit score on experian. I was at 736 last time I checked. I am now 726. My utl says 31 percent so Im assuming thats why it went down. I am extremely frustrated because that utl is because im an AU on a card I dont want to be on but its really my own credit histroy (8 months) besides my amex I got for myself 2 months ago. I am very upset and feel like its going to take a long time to make those 10 points back and now I feel like Im going to be 10 points lower than I should be forever and its really bothering me. Can someone please help ease my mind. Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Can someone help ease my mind with this credit score please

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey eveyone. So I checked my credit score on experian. I was at 736 last time I checked. I am now 726. My utl says 31 percent so Im assuming thats why it went down. I am extremely frustrated because that utl is because im an AU on a card I dont want to be on but its really my own credit histroy (8 months) besides my amex I got for myself 2 months ago. I am very upset and feel like its going to take a long time to make those 10 points back and now I feel like Im going to be 10 points lower than I should be forever and its really bothering me. Can someone please help ease my mind. Thanks

You need to pay your debts.

My advice to you is:

1. Stop using credit cards for now.

2. Pay off the ones you have.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no debt. I have an amex card with a 1000 CL which was just paid off and a best buy visa which is the AU card and theres like 700 on there out of 2000 CL and thats not because of me. Thats why im frustrated.

Message 3 of 9
fuzzle
Regular Contributor

Amex takes its time reporting, so that new account could have just hit the score

Message 4 of 9
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't sweat it. Your scores are still really good for the newness of your credit building. I would however recommend that you app for 2 more credit cards of your own once your AMEX turns 6 months old. The faster you have 3 credit cards of your own, the faster you can dump the AU card and only have to worry about your own debts and credit management skills.

Once you have 3 credit cards of your own I would suggest closing the AU card. It will only be then that you will be able to truly discover what your scores are.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you have an AU reporting to your credit file, then any score is by definition not based only on your own credit history.

I would first get the AU account removed, thus providing a "real" score that represents only your own credit history.

It is only after that is done that you can control your own score.

Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have no debt. I have an amex card with a 1000 CL which was just paid off and a best buy visa which is the AU card and theres like 700 on there out of 2000 CL and thats not because of me. Thats why im frustrated.

1. You're giving out conflicting information.  In your original post, after you mentioned the balance on the AU account, you said "its really my own credit histroy", from which I inferred that the charges were yours, not someone else's. If they're someone else's charges you should get yourself removed as an authorized user from that account, immediately.

2. If you only owed $1000, and have paid it off, then yes you don't have a debt. I apologize for not understanding your original post.

3. You asked us to "help ease your mind". If you want to have an eased mind you need to remove yourself from that authorized user card immediately. You will never have an easy mind as long as you are on it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Either have the person whose card you ar or on pay off their debt and start to pif or as mentioned, be removed from it. If you got an Amex you are well on your way to establishing your creditSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

SJ, I think it may be possible that the OP meant to write "only" not "own" when referencing the AU account... suggesting that the AU account basically comprises the majority of his credit history (age) since his file is very thin.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.