Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't verify credit references

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't verify credit references

Recently I applied for a discover personal loan. I was approved for 20k then they asked me the security questions. One of them was info about my dad's credit. He has my same name and we live in the same house. They asked if I had ever owned the car he owns. I said no. Had I said yes I would have got the loan.

How do I take discover to court over this? I'm sending them a letter in response to theirs tomorrow stating pretty much the same as I have here asking them to grant the loan or remove the hard pull.

What options do I have? I already asked lexisnexis to send me my personal report.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't verify credit references

On what basis would you take them to court?
Message 2 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

taking them to court for what??

Every creditor has their own approval process, they can and will deny for any reason they see fit.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I can tell they are using information to deny me that does not belong to me, and the information isn't on my credit reports to begin with.

I want them to grant the loan or remove the hard pull, but failing both of those I think there is some legal grounds to pursue for denial based on inaccurate data. After I inform them of the issue, and they fail to resolve it, there has to be some legal recourse. Right?
Message 4 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Obviously if you have the "same" name that is where the mix up could very well be. Did they infact pull your credit or your fathers? and what is their reason for denial of the loan?

Again I don't see you having any "legal" recourse for court.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 14
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Recently I applied for a discover personal loan. I was approved for 20k then they asked me the security questions. One of them was info about my dad's credit. He has my same name and we live in the same house. They asked if I had ever owned the car he owns. I said no. Had I said yes I would have got the loan.

How do I take discover to court over this? I'm sending them a letter in response to theirs tomorrow stating pretty much the same as I have here asking them to grant the loan or remove the hard pull.

What options do I have? I already asked lexisnexis to send me my personal report.

Suing anyone can be done....winning the suit is a different story. There are specific reasons for which denial of credit can not be based such as race or ethnicity or religious beliefs. Absent any of that, a creditor is not required to extend credit to anyone...a loan is not a right. IMO a lawsuit in this case would fail and likely result in you having to pay for their legal fees. Keeping in mind they wanted to extend the credit in the first place and was thwarted by an erronious item in the credit report, just explaining this to the CSR would likely have a favorable outcome. I would not make it sound like a demand to them though. I am not a lawyer, so this is just my opinion.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 6 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

As a consumer, it's your responsibility to correct any inaccuracies on your reports.
Discover went by what's on your report, they cannot ignore the discrepancy between your answer and your report.
Your best bet is to correction inaccurate information, apply again and once/if approved politely ask to recode one of the inquiries as soft one. They may or may not do so, but it's worth a try.
As far as legal action, they followed a proper procedure, you really have no chance there.
Message 7 of 14
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

If one could sue a lender based on a verification system then Blispay would have been dead on arrival.  

OP, best of luck to you but legal proceedings is a long stretch here in my opinion.  

Message 8 of 14
kcos194
Regular Contributor

Are you sure they pulled your report and not your fathers? If you have the same name and same address it’s possible they pulled his credit and then denied you when you answered “no” about the car as they would’ve expected a “yes”.

Have you tried to recon with them to see what happened? Just my two cents but I feel that’s something that you may be able to explain to a UW or CSR.
Message 9 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes blispay would be out of business lol
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.