Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we remove late payments?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we remove late payments?

Is there a way we can remove late payments? I have 1 latepayment on US credit card. Unfortunately the bank closed my credit card and I paid the whole amount (0 remaining). I m just wondering if there is a way we can request the bank to remove the latepayment.

Note: I cleared the whole balance the next day I missed the payment. 

5 REPLIES 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Can we remove late payments?

Is your question concerning having a late payment fee removed from an account or having a late payment removed from your credit reports?  If it is the former, you could try calling your card issuer to see if they will remove it as a form of goodwill.  If it is the latter, accounts cannot be reported late until a payment is at least 30 days overdue so if payment was made the day after the missed payment as you stated that is being reported incorrectly and you should have the lender correct the incorrect report.

Message 2 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If you are talking about US Bank, there will be no GW removal. 

You might hear "Try anyway", but that will be a colossal waste of time. 

If you are talking about dispute, when it comes back verified, it will make deliquency appear more recent and it will drop your score again. 

If this is a single isolated late, impact lessens significantly after only two years. 

Let the sleeping dogs hibernate, don't make the situation worse. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the response. Do we have side effects of writing a good will letter to remove late payments? Even tho, my account is closed, I have a checking account with US bank (guess it might help). If I can remove the latest latepayment (since I cleared the whole debt) it would really boost my credit score.

Message 4 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the response. Do we have side effects of writing a good will letter to remove late payments? Even tho, my account is closed, I have a checking account with US bank (guess it might help). If I can remove the latest latepayment (since I cleared the whole debt) it would really boost my credit score.

You can try, just make sure you're perfectly clear that you aren't disputing.

Message 5 of 6
risingup2day
Regular Contributor

Welcome! I may be off base here, but I know most banks will not report if you are one day late. EG due date 03/05 and you pay 03/06. Now you will still be on the hook for the late fees in your terms. A simple way to confirm is call the bank and ask. "Since I was one day late, is this going on my credit report?"

"Life" happens and lost major banks and creditors know this. Again, call the bank and ask. Don't take my word on it and definitely don't make this a habit. 

Let's us know!  Good luck!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.