cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you add your credit score to your resume ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can you add your credit score to your resume ?

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Sorry for the tangent, but OP's question made me curious: are there really states which do not "legalize" credit pulls? How is one's creditworthiness assessed when applying for a credit card, or getting a loan?

Are you asking if there are states where it is illegal for a company to pull a person's credit report/score?  If so, the answer is no.  There are no states where a prospective lender is forbidden by law to check a person's credit, assuming that a "permissable purpose" has occured, such as your examples of someone applying for a loan or credit card.     

Quite the contrary -- it is fully legal to do so.

Message 11 of 17
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Sorry for the tangent, but OP's question made me curious: are there really states which do not "legalize" credit pulls? How is one's creditworthiness assessed when applying for a credit card, or getting a loan?

http://blog.credit.com/2015/05/11-states-where-employers-cant-check-your-credit-115999/

Your credit can be checked for making loan but some states don't allow employers to use it for job apps.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 12 of 17
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

http://blog.credit.com/2015/05/11-states-where-employers-cant-check-your-credit-115999/

Your credit can be checked for making loan but some states don't allow employers to use it for job apps.

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification!

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would only put a credit score on an employment application if it was specifically asked for, and I doubt that it ever would be. Like others have said, if your credit history is something they are concerned about then they would probably want to do an inquiry. The score really doesn't tell them a whole lot. Also, I've sat on hiring committees, reviewed applications, and sat in interviews. If I saw someome putting their credit score, I would think it is odd. I've seen some interesting stuff on apps, too. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

As another tangent, that most states allow CR's to be used to calculate your auto insurance rates.  I live in a state where this doesnt happen so I was shocked to hear this. When I had lower scores,  I was so careful about driving because I couldn't afford repairs or a new car if we were in an accident!  Craziness out there.

Message 15 of 17
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Insurance companies have a reason code to adjust your risk up or down for everything... from the color of your underwear on odd numbered days to how old you were when you had your first date.

"Insurance industry research shows that people who eat waffles with blueberry syrup are more likely to file a claim..."

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 16 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Unlike consumer-initiated requests for credit, which provide permisible purpose for the creditor to pull your credit report without obtaining your express permission, the FCRA requries an employer to obtain your express permission prior to pulling your credit report.

Stated differently, applying for a job does not itself grant permissible purpose to pull your credit report.  They must still obtain written permission.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.