cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 to implement credit line reporting by EOY!!!

tag
oracleicom
Valued Member

Cap 1 to implement credit line reporting by EOY!!!

I called Cap 1 to close my cc and they ended up increasing my cl from $200 to $700 and will remove my 1 late payment with them from my credit reports!!!  In addition, while speaking with the rep she told me that they will be reporting credit limits by the end of this year, since they've gotten so many complaints. Finally!!!!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 to implement credit line reporting by EOY!!!

Excellent...goes to show that calling in and acting like you are going to close your account is a great way to get concessions. Most large businesses have a customer retention team or policy that allows extras to be thrown out to customers--especially those who have had accounts for years--in order to prevent a cancellation of service.
Message 2 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Good deal! People underestimate the power of cancelling!
Message 3 of 7
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Wink Hey, NewWorldMan, perhaps you have this problem too, that seems rather impossible to solve -- one of the things myFico says is hurting my credit, is credit limits that are too low.  TU (Fico) states that I have too few trade lines or the limits are too small, and that I should consider obtaining more credit.  Equifax advises against this.  Experian was fairly satisfied with my credit limits and utilizations, but they're the one's my bank uses, BOA, that said no. 

I can't do anything, right now, of course, with this dispute going on and my scores down ...  But do you think when they're up that I might be able to call BOA (never been late or maxed out, though I'm using around 60-65 percent) and threaten to cancel in order to get a credit limit increase?  I really don't want another card.  First Premier didn't approve me for a second increase, but approved me for an additional card.  Why do I want two cards from the people?  Two interest payments to one place?  No way!

So tell me the solution to this, NWM. 

Thanks.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

MercyMe wrote:
Smiley Wink Hey, NewWorldMan, perhaps you have this problem too, that seems rather impossible to solve -- one of the things myFico says is hurting my credit, is credit limits that are too low.  TU (Fico) states that I have too few trade lines or the limits are too small, and that I should consider obtaining more credit.  Equifax advises against this.  Experian was fairly satisfied with my credit limits and utilizations, but they're the one's my bank uses, BOA, that said no. 

I can't do anything, right now, of course, with this dispute going on and my scores down ...  But do you think when they're up that I might be able to call BOA (never been late or maxed out, though I'm using around 60-65 percent) and threaten to cancel in order to get a credit limit increase?  I really don't want another card.  First Premier didn't approve me for a second increase, but approved me for an additional card.  Why do I want two cards from the people?  Two interest payments to one place?  No way!

So tell me the solution to this, NWM. 

Thanks.

The problem you're going to face is your utilization level is too high.  In order for your threat to cancel to be credible, you've got to get your utilization down to 0 to 20%.  Otherwise, they're going to assume you're bluffing.  When your utilization is moderate or high, they assume if you were in a position to jettison the card, you would have paid it off already.

The exception is if you call and tell them you're going to balance-transfer to a new 0% card.  But the lower your utilization is, the more credible your cancellation threat becomes.  If you've got a CL of $5000 and a balance of $178, they're going to figure that's chump change and you could easily follow through.  OTOH if your balance is $3,751 and hasn't dropped below 2 Gs or so for your last four or five billing cycles, they're likely to figure you can't do without the card.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is perfect timing. I will have all my CC's paid off by OCT I am being helped be them not reporting as my "High Limit" are all at least 2x my actual limit. This is reducing my Utilization.
Message 6 of 7
smallfry
Senior Contributor

When I see it I'll believe it.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.