cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Fraud Question

TheTechieGuy

Capital One Fraud Question

When I was a minor, a member of my family used my information to open up a Capital One card. Frustrating a few years later, but Capital One did their investigation and sent me a letter letting me know that they confirmed the account was fraudulent; I was not going to be held responsible; that I should keep this for my records, etc.

Fast forward 3 years later, I request a preapproval for an auto-loan—they don’t even look at my report. They send me a letter saying past delinquent obligations to Capital One prevented me from approval.

Am I just never going to do business with Capital One? Does anyone have any experience with this?
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital One Fraud Question

Did you ever follow the identity theft process under the FCRA, which permits block of the account from yur credit report with no involvement of the credtior?

Message 2 of 5
TheTechieGuy

Yes; I’ve sent the documents about a year ago. Capital One also notified me that they notified the three credit bureaus (and they did) to remove them.

The curious thing seems to be that they still have me liable for the account when I try to get a line with them—but don’t hold me financially responsible for it. Any thoughts or experience are appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
Benmarkley3
Regular Contributor

@TheTechieGuywrote:
Yes; I’ve sent the documents about a year ago. Capital One also notified me that they notified the three credit bureaus (and they did) to remove them.

The curious thing seems to be that they still have me liable for the account when I try to get a line with them—but don’t hold me financially responsible for it. Any thoughts or experience are appreciated.

Departments often don’t talk with each other. So in this case it would be good to ask for a reconsideration. They don’t do reconsiderations normally. But sending a copy of the proof to the department could reverse the decision. It’s a hassle, I know. But big banks or any big business often have the problem of the left hand not knowing what the right hand has done. Someone obviously didn’t put info correct into the system somewhere along the line.

Starting Score: 600
Current Score: Exp = 703 Tran = 706 Equ = 710
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AAoA Exp = 12.2 Equ = 7.5 Tra = 7.4
Inquiry Exp = 1 Equ = 0 Tra = 2
Message 4 of 5
Morphine
Established Member

Did you go for a preapproval or did you actually apply? Since the preapproval system is automated, your name might still be flagged in their system unknowlingly. If you apply - and are declined for that reason then I am sure it is possible to recon and provide the information. Its something that can very easily be proven.
Capital One Platinum Visa 3k, Capital One Quick Silver 3k, Amex Blue 2k, Discover It, 2,750k, Penfed 3.5k, Chase Freedom Unlimited 1k, Amazon Store Card 2,800k, Helzberg Store Card 2.5k, Dicks Sporting Goods 1.8k, Newegg Store Card 500$, Dell Financial 2k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.