Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Shenanigans!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Shenanigans!

Okay where do I begin...

About 3 weeks ago I noticed I was missing payment history for the month August on my TU report.

Both EQ and EX showed history for the month of August which was indicated by a green highlight that said "paid on time". Those of you who have an Experian subscription will know what I am talking about.

I also double checked my EQ report with CK just to make sure. Payment history was present for the month of August which was indicated a green check.

I also triple checked with Annualcreditreport. Payment history was definitely present for the month of August on both EQ and EX. TU on the other hand was missing payment history for that month on all three sources.

Fast forward to November 1st. I called Capital One thinking it was their fault. However they assured me that they did in fact report the correct payment history to TU.

So I filed a dispute via CK. TU admitted to the mistake and ruled in my favor.

Fast forward to today. Capital One makes a surprise report mid billing cycle. I was carrying a 300 dollar balance. My utilization shot up from 3 percent to 36 percent. My FAKO score dropped 30 points.

That's not all...

I just checked my EX report via Experian and I no longer have payment history for the month of August. No data available. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Futhermore what the heck is up with Capital One surprise reporting? This is the first time they've done this. Was this intentional or just coincidence?

Will they report again after my statement closes?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital One Shenanigans!

Im not sure about the suprise reporring but i dont pay much mind to those monthly payment histories. Were it my score sure, but a green check mark doesnt really do me much good lol. So long as account is in good standing and not late, thats all that mattersSmiley Wink to me at least Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
calyx
Super Contributor

What AJC said. 

As long as there is no derogatory information there, you are fine.  Don't worry about every single payment posting.

And honestly?  Cap1 may have just been reporting because of the dispute - when the CRA asked them for information, it may have triggered it.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So basically you guys/gals dont think its strange that my payment history for the month of August on my EX report just disappeared?

Poof... Gone....No data....Payment never happened.

Especially considering I just spent the last few weeks disputing this inaccuracy on my TU report.

I know I am still new to this and all but for some reason i just find it hard to believe that this is normal. So bare with me if I find it hard to just brush it off.

Sure, it's easy for you guys/gals to act all nonchalant because it's not your payment history disappearing.

Have any of your accounts payment histories ever disappeared? Like ever?

I know that one month of payment history may not be that big of a deal in the grand scheme of FICO scoring, however it is a big deal to someone who has severe OCD. It makes my brain itch.

Update: Just pulled all 3 reports literally as I was typing this..., Now I have a gray asterisk on the month of August that's says "no info" on ALL 3 reports. Along with "Account in dispute, resolved by data furnisher". Thats not all, it gets better. I am now missing the last 3 months of payment history on my Discover account.....GONE! NO DATA! Aaoa was 4 months this morning! Aaoa is now 2 months!

Seriously F Capital One!!!!!

I've read other accounts of things like this happening after you make a dispute. They fix one thing and screw up 2 more things.

Is this because I disputed TU through CK!? What the hell is going on!? Why would this affect all my reports?
Message 4 of 11
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

I dont have any missed payments on my report and I have not missed any.

I still have blanks here and there for whatever reason.    I've never worried about it nor have I ever been asked about it when applying for credit.

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 11
calyx
Super Contributor

There's no need for aggression, we're trying to help.   Most of us have been there - new and baffled by the byzantine system that is/are the CRAs.

Yes, I have/had "No Data" blanks.  Sometimes they update later, sometimes they don't.  As long a it's not derogatory information, I don't really care what they put in there.    I wouldn't mind if an entire account said "no data" as long as it was listed and the opening date and "current" status was correct.

What NDs do not do is change the age of your accounts.  An opening date is an opening date, so if you're AAoA changed, it was not due to the payment data, but from something else. 

That said, CRAs will not count accounts in dispute when looking at scoring, and that might be why your age dropped.   Once the investigation is done, everything should go back to normal.

I will caution you that too many disputes that the CRAs find 'frivolous' may make it harder to do disputes in the future.  

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 6 of 11
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

This happens more often than you think, you dispute with one CRA or your lender and they update all 3 and sometimes not the correct information.

I personally never dispute anything through CK and only dispute negative information as disputing balances , account history etc a lot of times seems to backfire Smiley Sad
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ive had missing months on my report and still do to this moment. Also, most of us have had some part of our info lost or stolen thanks to Equifax and their ineptitude and lax security.

Please remember to post in a FSR manner, no one here was or has been aggressive in their reply to you. Thank you for your understanding.

Message 8 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

For scoring purposes, what matters is that there aren't any lates. Along with that, you're scored on the age of the account, i.e. the time period in which the green highlights accumulate rather than the green highlights themselves.

Did your Capital One due date recently change? Those of us with due dates late in the month had them pushed back a couple of days. To go with the due date change, the statement cut date was pushed to early the following month. This happened in July and August, with the result being that there was no August statement. I think I had a statement on July 26th, with the next one coming out on September 2.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see any shenanigans. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.