Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One deleted account from CRA's after closure

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital One deleted account from CRA's after closure

Closing of a revolving account per se only ends the ability of the account holder to make additional charges.

Liability for the debt continues, as does the ability to post new delinquencies.

Death of the single account holder does more than just cease new charges.  It begins a process that puts the debt into determination of continued liability under administration of the decedent's estate.

There is no longer a living account holder for granting continued authorized use to another, so the AU is automatically terminated when the account holder becomes deceased.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CJ7 wrote:

I probably lost 10 points, this was a few years ago. AOOA dropped by 7 years.

What I find odd is that the same lender is still reporting to the AU of an account

that I owned and closed 6 months ago.

Hi CJ.  I don't understand the last sentence.  Are you saying that:

* Some other person (let's call him Bob) was an AU on a card in your name, and

* That AU account appeared on Bob's reports, and

* You closed that card six months ago, but....

* As of very recently the AU account still appears on Bob's reports?

Your language talks of a lender reporting to an AU, which confused me, since lenders report to the CRAs, not to consumers. 

If the four bullets above are what you mean, you may want to look at Bob's most recent reports and specifically look for a field called Date Last Reported.  Just because an account appears on a person's reports it doesn't mean that the creditor is still continuing to update that account, particularly in the case of a closed account.  It may just mean that the creditor stopped updating it after the creditor reported the account closed.

Message 12 of 14
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CJ7 wrote:

I probably lost 10 points, this was a few years ago. AOOA dropped by 7 years.

What I find odd is that the same lender is still reporting to the AU of an account

that I owned and closed 6 months ago.

Hi CJ.  I don't understand the last sentence.  Are you saying that:

* Some other person (let's call him Bob) was an AU on a card in your name, and

* That AU account appeared on Bob's reports, and

* You closed that card six months ago, but....

* As of very recently the AU account still appears on Bob's reports?

Yes.  Sorry for the confusion.  I meant to the AU's reports.

While it is possible that no further updating is occurring, my point was that the account

is still listed and presumably will for another 9.5 years.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup.  But as the other folks have mentioned, when the CC issuer is notified that the owner of the account has died, that triggers an additional set of processes, including but not limited to the deletion of AU accounts.  The mere closure of an account doesn't impose those.

I agree that it would be a little odd if a CC issuer was continuing to actively report (i.e. update) an AU account that had been closed a several months ago.  It sounds like that did not happen in the case you mentioned though.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.