Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One ruining my credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One ruining my credit score

Hello! I'm new to the forums and looking for advice on dealing with Capital One. About 4 years ago my husband received a pre-approved offer from Capital One, sent it in, and put me on for an additional card. All correspondence - except the bill - came in his name only. They wouldn't even let me speak to them about the account on the phone!

Fast forward to today. We've been separated since Nov, closing out a divorce, and he owes $14K. He's been late on it every month since I left. And it's crushed my credit score. I reported the issue to Equifax and Capital One said the debt was valid. I called Capital One and asked for proof of signature card, since I did not sign one, and they told me to request it in writing. I did that in April, via certified letter. They never responded. They don't write or call or otherwise harass me about his debt, but they've ruined my credit all the same. What can I do? I had excellent credit prior to this and want to buy a house of my own. Now, even my long-time credit accounts have lowered my limits due to what Capital One has done.

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One ruining my credit score

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello! I'm new to the forums and looking for advice on dealing with Capital One. About 4 years ago my husband received a pre-approved offer from Capital One, sent it in, and put me on for an additional card. All correspondence - except the bill - came in his name only. They wouldn't even let me speak to them about the account on the phone!

Fast forward to today. We've been separated since Nov, closing out a divorce, and he owes $14K. He's been late on it every month since I left. And it's crushed my credit score. I reported the issue to Equifax and Capital One said the debt was valid. I called Capital One and asked for proof of signature card, since I did not sign one, and they told me to request it in writing. I did that in April, via certified letter. They never responded. They don't write or call or otherwise harass me about his debt, but they've ruined my credit all the same. What can I do? I had excellent credit prior to this and want to buy a house of my own. Now, even my long-time credit accounts have lowered my limits due to what Capital One has done.

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to the forums although I'm sorry it's under these circumstances.

Let me ask you this. Are you considered a joint account owner for this card or an authorized user? That's important because an AU is generally not responsible for any debts incurred on the account. If you think you are an AU you can dispute with the CRA's as "not my account".

If you are listed as a joint owner then it becomes more complicated.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm positive I'm an authorized user. Capital One is reporting me as a joint account holder.

As I explained, they never let me talk to them - had to put husband on the phone - but the bills came with both our names on it. I did exactly what they asked to request a copy of my signature card, and they simply ignored my request, despite I can prove they received my letter via certified mail. Nor do they harass me for my husband's late payments.

I'm not sure what to do next. 

Message 3 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm positive I'm an authorized user. Capital One is reporting me as a joint account holder.

As I explained, they never let me talk to them - had to put husband on the phone - but the bills came with both our names on it. I did exactly what they asked to request a copy of my signature card, and they simply ignored my request, despite I can prove they received my letter via certified mail. Nor do they harass me for my husband's late payments.

I'm not sure what to do next. 

If you are indeed a joint account holder you have every right to all the information.
So all three of your credit reports show you as a joint owner on this Cap 1 account? When is the last time you pulled them? You can get a free report once a year from all the CRA's at annualcreditreport.com.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

And if you have any old credit reports, I'd check your status on them. In case your status somehow miraculously changed from AU to joint on the current ones...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smart! I'll do that. I usually pull them annually.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.