cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital one reports a balance that was NOT on statement!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one reports a balance that was NOT on statement!!

So today, I have experienced something I never have, and it worries me

My capital one statement is usually the 20th of every month. It always has a zero balance

Today, I am randomly looking at my credit karma and it shows I have a $109 balance. ( up to date Thankfully, not past due )Mind you, my last statement was ZERO dollars

This 109 was reported on Jan 5th! My statements always report on the 22nd of every month. 

The $109 balance was just normal usage that I haven't paid off yet! I put that on the card Jan 3rd! Thank Goodness I didn't put a big amount on there.

Now my only reasoning is that I ordered a replacement card on Jan 6th! Seriously? Do they report it when you order a new card? Still doesnt explain why the day before. Maybe they coded the wrong date or something

I called up capital one and the woman really had no idea why that happened. She said it reports to the CA every 22nd, even dec 22nd, and she doesn't understand why it reported again on the 5th. She also said this coming month statement is up on the 20th. She says I am up to date with no late payments or past dues. What the hell happens if that shows next month?!

I am seriously like what the hell right now cause I don't want a balance reported. And I am in the process of almost going for a mortgage so I don't need mistakes like this.

I am telling everyone this cause you might be in the same.

9 REPLIES 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital one reports a balance that was NOT on statement!!

If you ordered a replacement card, they probably made a routine report to the credit bureaus.  Don't worry about it.  A $109 balance on a credit card isn't going to affect your mortgage approval.  Just out of curiosity, did the replacement card have the same card number as the card it was replacing, or was it a new card number?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

New card number. Thought I lost the card, but didn't

Message 3 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

New card number. Thought I lost the card, but didn't

Well, there is your reason. You effectively closed the other account by calling to report a lost card. They transferred the valid debt from the closed account to the new account, then refreshed the reporting to the bureaus to show the "new" account, probably show the prior account "closed". The banks will do this as a routine step if there is any doubt about the physical location of the card. It prevents fraud possibilities, which is a protection they provide to you.

Your replacement card will probably have the same cycle of reporting, but track that to make sure.

And $109 won't really affect your mortgage app, so I wouldn't sweat it.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have replaced many cards with different agencies over the years and have never had this happen. Nothing has ever showed up on my reports as " closed " when a replacement card is sent out.

The account never shows as closed as I never closed my account. Its just a new card with new number. Everything else is still the same. Its all the same account. Confirmed by capital one 

My many years worth of history still show up on credit reports and the card shows as current and open

So in the end, who knows. I will report back once my normal statement date posts on the credit reports with an update, and then ill see what happens

Just was curious if this ever happened to someone else. 

Thanks for the help

Message 5 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

They likely will combine the history, to maintain that as an unbroken chain.

What happens here though is that the open balance needs to be moved in their system from the now-closed card to the new account number. I just transitioned a Citi American Airlines card from AA Platinum to the no-AF MilesUp card. They created a new account on my Citi on-line page, and for a time both accounts showed up there with the same balance, as that balance was transferring to the new card.

I have had a Chase Marriott card which had fraud, they issued a new card number, in 2015. I never paid attention to whether they updated a mid-cycle report, even though I had MyFICO monitoring, because it just doesn't affect score that much.

As soon as your next cycle set reports, this will be gone from FICO utilization alltogether.

If your concern is that you aren't exactly on AZEO right now, check your scores. I really doubt they will move more than 5, maybe 10 points at the most.

AZEO is generally oversold as a method of keeping score optimized. The real effect from AZEO is that your utilization is low across all cards, not that only one card is reporting a balance. Adding $100 of utilization to any profile that is more than a $500 card is not likely to move the needle on score, because utilization is still quite low in aggregate.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 10
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I just had this same off-cycle reporting happen to me on a 48 dollar balance. I got a fraud alert on the card from them and called to fix it. It was a fraud transaction, so they cancelled that card and issued a new one. Same thing, my normal cycle ends on the 21st, I pay it to zero on the 18th, and it always reports at zero. Fortunately, they didn't include the amount of the fraud transaction in the balance, as it was still pending, and is now gone.

This appears to be their policy now, I don't know about the past.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok great thank you. 

Yeah I guess its not the balance. Its just the fact that you see things like this and you start to worry about " What if they by accident put that balance as past due or something " 

I paid it off today, wasn't taking any chance lol

Either way, after speaking with the girl on the phone. She was like " Even if that happened, we have everything documented and you've been up to date with everything with no late fees for four years. It would get taken care of immeditally if that error ever occured " 

Message 8 of 10
nykos5000
Regular Contributor

This happened to me as well. I had a fradualent charge on my Venture card and I immediately called in for a replacement card on July 3rd and today, July 6th, I noticed on my Equifax report they reported my current balance on July 3rd. My statement doesnt end until the 17th and I panicked because I always PIF before the statment cuts....I'm relieved to see that this isn't unusual and it should updated accordingly once my new statment cuts on the 17th

BK7 08/2016 | DC 12/2016

Message 9 of 10
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Yep this is just standard operating procedure for almost every lender. It seams like people are confusing account and line of credit. On reports you have listed all of your lines of credit and not accounts. Your account number is always the credit card number. Moving a line of credit to a new account is possible with most lenders. Also lenders are generally happy to patch old account numbers to new ones when it comes to payments but would like it more if you updated your records if you could.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.