cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Dealer Said they LEGALLY have to do a Hard Inquiry Even if paying cash!

tag
jwes2155
New Contributor

Re: Car Dealer Said they LEGALLY have to do a Hard Inquiry Even if paying cash!

Unless you have a cashiers check,  they won't pull your credit.  If your writing a personal and don't want your credit pulled you don't leave in the car until the check is cleared,  thats how dealerships work.
Message 41 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a new honda in April....Paid cash (debit card)  no CR pull!!!!!  Had to show driv/lic  proof of ins.  DONE.........they had no PP to pull CR!!!
Message 42 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

And I thought I had my daily debit limit set too high....

@Anonymous wrote:
I bought a new honda in April....Paid cash (debit card) no CR pull!!!!! Had to show driv/lic proof of ins. DONE.........they had no PP to pull CR!!!

Message 43 of 66
ozgirl
Regular Contributor

Well, since I have nothing better to do than obsess about hard inquiries, this issue, and feeding my addiction to these message boards-- I spent some time reading the "Patriot Act". Yes...VEHICLE DEALERSHIPS (as well as those who sell boats and planes) are considered FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS--it seems crazy but maybe not...don't know. Here is the reasoning, apparently the first step to laundering money is to "clean it" by introducing it into a legitimate purchase. Since I am not a money launderer --just a mom who needed a new car--I am a little stumped by the whole process. However, I did some further reading at www.privacyright.org. When accepting a cash payment in excess of $10,000 the dealer is only required to get the basics (SS #, name address, dob etc..)nowhere does it say "CREDIT REPORT." Additionally, I found out that banks are required to report any "suspicious transaction" in excess of $2000. The bottom line is that dealerships do not need any verification of identity other than that which is required by a bank etc.. to open an account--passport, etc... should be acceptable. Now, I can understand a dealership accepting a cash payment wants some assurance that the $50,000 car being driven off their lot is backed by a legitimate check; however, a credit report tells them nothing about how much income an individual earns. I can guarantee you there are people with much better scores than mine who don't make nearly what I earn (they are just more disciplined about paying bills on time --my problem) OH yes...don't we have to provide "proof of identity" to get a drivers license and insurance? If those things are in order then the identity checks have been done. I just dunno...think I will move back to Australia (ha ha)
Message 44 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we come with you???

ozgirl
think I will move back to Australia (ha ha)
Message 45 of 66
ozgirl
Regular Contributor

Most certainly I feel like all of you on this forum have become good mates! You would love Australia.
Message 46 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only time the dealership would take on the role of a FI is if they are offerin a FI product such as financing.  When a buyer walks into a dealership with cash in hand, in whatever form that position is irrelavent with the exception of the dealerships responsibility to verify identity through normal means and report the sale to the powers that be through whatever means are set up which does not include a credit report.
Message 47 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just paid cash for a car earlier this summer and i paid with personal check i didnt get a hard inq on my credit report. They took my driver's license and my social security number and proof of insurance. No inquiries on my credit report.

Message 48 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes a car dealership is a financial institution. It does not matter whether you are applying for a loan or paying cash for the car. I used to work for a mortgage company and all they need to do to verify your identity is take a photo copy of your drivers licencse and this meets the requirements for the patriot act, along with your signature stating that the government can check you out to make sure you are not a terroist. Bottom line is that they did not need to pull a credit report AT ALL in order to confirm your identity.

Message 49 of 66
opsrex
Valued Member

The burden is on the dealership/financial institution to prove that they did all due dilligence to comply with the terms of the Patriot Act. By pulling a hard inq. they are ensuring that they are in compliance. They will not get in trouble for running a credit check on you because after 9/11 we were told that sacrifices would be necessary. Whether you agree or disagree is totally irrelevant. The fact is that they can and will use a cr to cover their azz and in the Bush administration who can blame them for being overly cautious? They know that while some may not like having their credit run, when it comes to cya, it does not matter what you or I want. The dealership is protecting their own self interest, and if it was my business, I would probably be doing the same.
Message 50 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.