cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car broken into, credit card stolen and used online....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car broken into, credit card stolen and used online....

Had my car broken into over Thanksgiving while visiting family.  Car was parked in our driveway infront of our house. Guy stole about $1,000 worth of things (bag, sunglasses, gas gift cards, cash and my AX credit card).  Filed a police report. 

When I got home I noticed the AX card he stole had 8 pending charges all $1 (6 playstation store, 1 amazon, and 1 paypal). Called AX and reported the charges, cancelled out the card and got a new card with a new number in the mail. I called paypal and they said the $1 charge is just a pre-charge and someone tried to make a paypal account with my card and my name, I asked what the phone number, address, email, etc that guy registered the card with but paypal wouldn't release the info to me, they just said "you'll have to write to our legal dept if you want to know".

I don't think AX is going to contact these Amazon, playstation, paypal and ask what other info they have on the guy that stole my card. AX is just going to tell these companies it's a stolen card and cancel the charges at best.

Now, I know the police don't really care about this sort of stuff. We had a camera out front but it wasn't set up correctly, but even if it was, I don't think the police can do much with a video. But the fact that the guy used my card online at 3 different places, there should be an IP address/cookies (not a computer wiz), some phone number, address, email address or some other info he needed to input to make an Amazon, playstation, paypal account before he could even try to add my card to it.

Basic questions are...aside from cancelling my cards and getting new cards (all cards) and reporting those charges as fraud, should I be doing anything else?  Do a freeze on my credit report?  I don't think he has my social but the regestration was in the dash and he left that opened so he could have address etc from it.

Are the police required/suppose to help me or am I on my own and have to hire an attorney to get this info from Amazon, playstation, paypal?

Assuming Amazon, playstation, paypal releases some info that helps us catch this guy and if he's sold off my things...what can I do? Do I have to sue him personally for the stolen items?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car broken into, credit card stolen and used online....

I believe you will have to get the police/detective to supoena the information from Paypal, Amazon, etc. I worked for  company that dealt with a lot of CC fraud and that was what we needed to release information about the fraudsters.

Message 2 of 5
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Not to be rude or anything, but why didn't you cancel the cards immediately? Was it a while before you realized he had stolen these things from your car? Either way, I'm so sorry that happened to you. My coworker is dealing with the exact same thing right now. Her and her daughter had their purses stolen from her car at the gym and she had to take a day off of work just to call all the banks and sort things out. Why do people have to be such scum bags? The important thing is you were able to cancel the cards before any real damage was done. If I were you, I'd want this guys info as well. He obviously doesn't think he's going to get caught if he's trying to add your cards to his own accounts! I'd like to think they could trace it through his PlayStation account because I'm sure at one point or another, he used his own cards. Again, people can be just downright horrible sometimes and I'm sorry you have to deal with this crap.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 3 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Op sorry this happened to you. Very unfortunate. But I am hoping that from this point you will tighten things up on your end from a security standpoint. Starting with never leaving those items in your car even if in your driveway. Thieves are pretty bold and take advantage at any opportunity. It's a shame to say, but yes, even your car in your driveway is not safe. Hope everything works out!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 5
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Occasionally, your local PD's will step up to the plate and make a good arrest! Keeping in touch with the detective that is assigned your case is your best bet at seeing justice.

woman-arrested-in-american-canyon-for-making-a-credit-card

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.