cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card was lost and has unauthorized charges can I close and remove account?

tag
JoannaBucanna

Card was lost and has unauthorized charges can I close and remove account?

I paid my credit card off with Credit One last month which was $300. I was debating if I wanted to close or keep it open. Well my card was lost for a month and I never realized until I randomly was looking for the card and I realized I didn't have it. 

I then called to report it lost, and while I was on hold I just randomly logged into my credit one account to see that the card was maxed out. I have charges for Walgreens look like someone may have purchased some gift cards. Which wasn't me. 

i then take a look at my credit report and see that my score went down due to that card being maxed out, they reported fraudulent charges to my credit report obviously. Of course it wasn't their fault because they didn't know, I hadn't realized my card was lost until after the fact.. about 12 days after my statement date.

im going to file a police report. I was thinking if I filed the police report and disputed with the credit bureau will they remove this tradeline from my credit report?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Card was lost and has unauthorized charges can I close and remove account?

They should not as there is no claim made that someone obtained an account in your name fraudulently,  only that there were unauthorized charges made on an account that is in fact yours. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 6
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@JoannaBucanna   Has Credit One indicated the charges will be removed?  Once that happens they should update your cr's immediately I would imagine.  Is there a reason why you believe you lost your card instead of it being stolen? Can you account for all of your other cc's/debit cards?

Is there a way for you to set up alerts on this and all other tl's so you're aware of transactions as they happen?  Also, look into setting $ restrictions on your accts......at the ones that have this feature. 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 3 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JoannaBucanna wrote:

I paid my credit card off with Credit One last month which was $300. I was debating if I wanted to close or keep it open. Well my card was lost for a month and I never realized until I randomly was looking for the card and I realized I didn't have it. 

I then called to report it lost, and while I was on hold I just randomly logged into my credit one account to see that the card was maxed out. I have charges for Walgreens look like someone may have purchased some gift cards. Which wasn't me. 

i then take a look at my credit report and see that my score went down due to that card being maxed out, they reported fraudulent charges to my credit report obviously. Of course it wasn't their fault because they didn't know, I hadn't realized my card was lost until after the fact.. about 12 days after my statement date.

im going to file a police report. I was thinking if I filed the police report and disputed with the credit bureau will they remove this tradeline from my credit report? 

I don't see anything to dispute. I assume you've reported it to Credit One. They will presumably credit back the fraudulent charges and report the updated account information.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 6
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@JoannaBucanna, if it's going to take some time for dust to settle, make sure you've covered at least the minimum payment by the due date.

Message 5 of 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

When You reported the card as lost to Credit One. Did Credit One review the charges to determine if all the charges were made by you? If so most credit cards have zero fraud liability on them. I had a charge on one of credit cards that was fraud the creditor put it in dispute and the charge was removed after an investigation.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.