cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Topic to TRADELINES. Will adding someone to my Tradeline take points or scare lenders away.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing Topic to TRADELINES. Will adding someone to my Tradeline take points or scare lenders away.

Thank you all for your responses. I wanted to add my friend as an Co-Card Holder to help them build credit. But I don't want to lower my score any more then the inquiry and new account.

Q. Putting the possibility of late payments and debt aside, do Co-Card Holder accounts get scored the same way as Regular Cards. Another words, will I loose points by changing it to a Co-User card. And will lenders see that I am sharing cards and shy away from me.

Your opinions please.

:-)

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 05-20-2007 11:54 AM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Friends credit so bad can not get a secured card. As a credit card Co-Signer, effect my score?

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but let me give this a try.  You are co-signing for a friend so that he/she can obtain credit?  If so, then as a co-applicant, you will be equally responsible for the balance, should your friend fail to pay.  The creditors can legally come after you if your friend defaults, as you are bound by the terms of the credit card agreement as a co-signer.  Your personal information should not print on anyone's report except your own. 

If you are obtaining the credit card as the primary and adding your friend as the AU, then you are totally responsible for the debt and your friend has zero obligation to repay the debt.  The creditor will come after you, should your friend default to you. 

I would  suggest not signing as a co-applicant or allowing a friend to be an AU on my account.  There exists a high probability that your friend would default [based upon the information that they can not get a secured card] and then you would be responsible for the bill.  You will also lose a friend.  This is just my opinion.  If your friend's credit is that bad, then they need to start rebuilding their credit by first determining the reasons for the denials of a secured credit card and work up from there.  Perhaps they lack income, steady employment, whatever.  I would suggest that your friend start learning all he/she can about credit and working towards improving their status to be approved for a secured card.  JMHO
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Friends credit so bad can not get a secured card. As a credit card Co-Signer, effect my score?

IMHO I does not sounds like they may deserve a card right now. I would consider add them as a AU on one of your best cards then you won't take a hit. They get current and have a few months of clean payments (on current credit obligations) they should not have any issues getting a card, they will get a boost being an AU.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Sad

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 05-20-2007 11:41 AM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.