cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off placed on credit this week, Should I pay off or settle

tag
ascott6182

Charge Off placed on credit this week, Should I pay off or settle

I have 3 credit cards that went into charge-off status this week. I started a new job and finally am able to pay. These are for small balances between $300 and $650. I called the original creditors pay them off but they wont take payment. They said wait until the collections agent calls me and talk to them. Should I pay in full or settle? The debts are mine, and idk if I want to waste time with going back and forth with validity letters since these are brand new or should I? Im at 505 Experian score, would like to purchase a home in the next year or two.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Charge Off placed on credit this week, Should I pay off or settle

Welcome @ascott6182 

Yes get them settled so they no longer affect your util %'s. Paid always looks better then owed. Heck I'd even try if you can login still and push a payment to the accounts before CA's hit your reports. Might work. Might not. Who are the creditors your posting about? Congrats on the new job!

Message 2 of 5
ascott6182

Thanks! They were for 1st Access, Blaze Mastercard, and Credit One @FireMedic1 

Message 3 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@ascott6182 wrote:

I have 3 credit cards that went into charge-off status this week. I started a new job and finally am able to pay. These are for small balances between $300 and $650. I called the original creditors pay them off but they wont take payment. They said wait until the collections agent calls me and talk to them. Should I pay in full or settle? The debts are mine, and idk if I want to waste time with going back and forth with validity letters since these are brand new or should I? Im at 505 Experian score, would like to purchase a home in the next year or two.

Just send in the payments.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Welcome @ascott6182 

Yes get them settled so they no longer affect your util %'s. Paid always looks better then owed. Heck I'd even try if you can login still and push a payment to the accounts before CA's hit your reports. Might work. Might not. Who are the creditors your posting about? Congrats on the new job!

I second this. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.