Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge cards and credit mix

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge cards and credit mix

Hello all,
Does having a charge card improve the “credit mix”’ portion of a score? Basically I am wondering if these appear the same as credit cards (aside from utilization %) or appear as a different type. Example: If you had 3 credit cards would that be the same credit mix as having 2 credit cards and a charge card? Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Charge cards and credit mix

I have “exceptional” mix without a charge card.

I have:

credit cards

student loans

car loan

no personal loans

no mortgage

no charge cards

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my reading threads, no, it doesn't help mix at all, unless you lack credit cards. My understanding is they count just like a card as far as mix is concerned.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with @Anonymous  - a charge card isn't an installment account. The mix bonus comes from revolving and installment accounts, so I would think that the charge card will not give you the extra points.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

for credit-mix there are 3 types of account: bank card, revolving account, and installment loan.

a creditcard counts as "bankcard" and "revolving account"

a store card like lowes counts as "revolving account" only.

im pretty sure an amex chargecard counts as "bankcard" and "revolving account"

any kind of installment loan counts as a loan. car, home, or personal.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.