Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Accounts

Is there any benefit to opening a checkings/ savings account with them before applying for cards?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase Accounts

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there any benefit to opening a checkings/ savings account with them before applying for cards?

If your profile supports it, just apply for a card.  

It works for some people because they may get "Just for you" offers, but plenty of people who are long term customers never get them, so mixed bag at best 

Based on your previous thread, checking/savings wont really help you much at this point in time 

You got some good advice here https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/What-to-do-next/td-p/5656393

Stay with it and be patient 

Message 2 of 9
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

From what I've seen others report, as well as my own experiences, it seems that having 10+ year old Chase bank accounts can definitely help with Chase CC approvals. But young checking accounts are most likely ignored. If you were to open a new checking account and try for a credit card in the same year, it's doubtful that the checking account would play any part in the credit card approval.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I was just thinking it would be easier to start the relationship on a non-credit note.

I did receive some good advice in the other thread it was a bit conflicting though, I’ve also heard from other sources to stay away from installment loans soo who to listen to on that note?
Message 4 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks I was just thinking it would be easier to start the relationship on a non-credit note.

I did receive some good advice in the other thread it was a bit conflicting though, I’ve also heard from other sources to stay away from installment loans soo who to listen to on that note?

Just listen to us.

Ask your question.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 9
ibebarrett
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 brings up a good point about new checking accounts, I actually had this confirmed by a banker who said they are not truly considered until 35 days from opening so they can review transactions/deposits. That being said, I didn't have any preapprovals on the website, but when I opened an account and deposited $100 I got preapprovals for both freedoms and CSP, but decided to wait(This was before I knew about the 35 days anyway). I finally cold apped in bank for FU about 3 weeks after opening checking/savings accounts and was instantly approved despite the banker saying it would probably be a wait.

Fast forward a few months....my girlfriend got pushed into a Chase denial black hole where not a single department/banker/escalations officer could determine why she was denied....opened a checking account and was showing preapprovals before even depositing money. The banker at that point informed us of the 35 day thing and recommended that she wait to apply until after that period.

Hope this helps!

FICO 8. EQ - 682. EX - 703. TU - 703
FICO 9. EQ - 735. EX - 716. TU - 749

Capital One Quicksilver - $2350 || Care Credit - $23500 || Costco Citi - $7500 || Redstone FCU Secured - $350 || Chase FU - $6600 || Discover - $2100 || Apple Card - $5000 || Wells Fargo - $7000 || REI Co-op - $15,500 || Citi Diamond Preferred - $2800
AMEX Amazon Business - $5500 || Chase Ink Unlimited - $3000
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s exactly what I was wondering; if it opens the doors for pre approval, I’ve got a few months for my score to recover just planning ahead so that should be enough time to get my foot in the door.

I’m thinking if I do go the personal loan route I’ll just go traditional backed by a cd on my own and bypass the middleman.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only benefit that i can think of is the green checkmarks, making it easier to tell if you're qualified. 

And of course the $200 SUB for opening a Total Checking Account, though that can be aquired at any time they're running a promo.

I cold apped for the CSP this time last year and was instantly approved, no prior Chase relationship.  Just recently opend a Checking account for them last Month. So they can be done in any order. Your profile simply has to support the criteria for whatver card you're going for, and be under 5/24.

Message 8 of 9
ibebarrett
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That’s exactly what I was wondering; if it opens the doors for pre approval, I’ve got a few months for my score to recover just planning ahead so that should be enough time to get my foot in the door.

I’m thinking if I do go the personal loan route I’ll just go traditional backed by a cd on my own and bypass the middleman.

If you're planning ahead, I say go for it! It never hurts, and Chase has easy requirements to avoid fees for total checking/saving. Word of advice, the $200 SUB is great, but the website has a hidden offer here of $600 for total that you can sign up for with your email and they'll email you a code you can use in branch. Not sure if admins will allow the link, but if not you can probably find it on google pretty easily!

FICO 8. EQ - 682. EX - 703. TU - 703
FICO 9. EQ - 735. EX - 716. TU - 749

Capital One Quicksilver - $2350 || Care Credit - $23500 || Costco Citi - $7500 || Redstone FCU Secured - $350 || Chase FU - $6600 || Discover - $2100 || Apple Card - $5000 || Wells Fargo - $7000 || REI Co-op - $15,500 || Citi Diamond Preferred - $2800
AMEX Amazon Business - $5500 || Chase Ink Unlimited - $3000
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.