Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon Prime Visa CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Amazon Prime Visa CC

So, back in December before Christmas I opened my very first cc with chase's Amazon prime visa cc. I paid over my minimum balance several times in the first month early. Come my due date, some holiday delayed my weekly paycheck by a day, so I had to borrow the money so that I could make my final payment on the true due date (Feb 8th) which would have brought my balance to $0. I've never had a problem paying with my PayPal balance debit card, but apparently since they changed their terms & conditions, my payments were returned. I tried to make cash payments at the atms but kept getting technical errors. Regardless, my balance was fine, I paid well over my minimum. So, fast forward to just before end of feb. I ended up going into a chase branch, and paid $243 in cash (extra $100 of that to go toward the coming month's payment). All was good, until 3 days ago my card popped up saying it was removed from Apple Pay. I checked my account, my email, postal mail, etc all was fine. Just finally today, I got a letter in the chase apps secure message center stating:

Weve decided to close your credit card account for the following reasons:

1.)Balance kept high

2.)payments returned

i resolved the payment returned issue when I figured out PayPal changed, plus I had been using my discover savings account. Second this was only my first true bill which was already paid two seperate times prior to the due date over the minimum.

and then just today I get a notice saying we decided to close your account?! How? Why? I don't understand.

this was way after I had paid the bill off in cash, at a Chase Branch with a human being and then also even used it twice for 2 mini purchases... 

is there anything I can do?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Amazon Prime Visa CC

@Anonymous wrote:

So, back in December before Christmas I opened my very first cc with chase's Amazon prime visa cc. I paid over my minimum balance several times in the first month early. Come my due date, some holiday delayed my weekly paycheck by a day, so I had to borrow the money so that I could make my final payment on the true due date (Feb 8th) which would have brought my balance to $0. I've never had a problem paying with my PayPal balance debit card, but apparently since they changed their terms & conditions, my payments were returned. I tried to make cash payments at the atms but kept getting technical errors. Regardless, my balance was fine, I paid well over my minimum. So, fast forward to just before end of feb. I ended up going into a chase branch, and paid $243 in cash (extra $100 of that to go toward the coming month's payment). All was good, until 3 days ago my card popped up saying it was removed from Apple Pay. I checked my account, my email, postal mail, etc all was fine. Just finally today, I got a letter in the chase apps secure message center stating:

Weve decided to close your credit card account for the following reasons:

1.)Balance kept high

2.)payments returned

i resolved the payment returned issue when I figured out PayPal changed, plus I had been using my discover savings account. Second this was only my first true bill which was already paid two seperate times prior to the due date over the minimum.

and then just today I get a notice saying we decided to close your account?! How? Why? I don't understand.

this was way after I had paid the bill off in cash, at a Chase Branch with a human being and then also even used it twice for 2 mini purchases... 

is there anything I can do?

Hello and welcome to the forums @Anonymous.

Unfortunately, if Chase received *any* returned payments at any given time (whether in the same statement cycle or spread out), it consitutes an adverse action on their part. This is spelled out in the cardholder agreement. Some lenders can be flexible with one (1) returned payment and may sometimes restrict accounts, but two (or several of them) in sequence will definitely get most accounts closed.

While I realize that you may not have expected it to impact the way you were making payments using your PayPal Debit card, PayPal sent an advance notice to all of their customers associated with the changes you described. You can try appealing your decision with the Portfolio Risk Review department, but it is unlikely they will reinstate the account.

Message 2 of 4
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Sorry you had to find out the hard way. Credit card lenders hate nothing more than a returned payment. Returned payments (especially multiple) results in adverse action (AA) faster than a late payment will. 

You can try to appeal but temper your expectations that this might have to just be a live and learn experience. 

Message 3 of 4
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

Sorry you had to find out the hard way. Credit card lenders hate nothing more than a returned payment. Returned payments (especially multiple) results in adverse action (AA) faster than a late payment will. 

You can try to appeal but temper your expectations that this might have to just be a live and learn experience. 

OP, I agree with dragontears that this should be a lesson-learned experience, especially going forward in your credit journey. 

I was concerned while reading your post that this was a credit card just opened in Dec and within 3 months you were paying multiple times (was CL low?), had returned payments (one is a no-no), and had to borrow to make final payment. These are red flags.

Going forward so that this doesnt happen again with another creditor--make sure money is in bank prior to sending a payment and don't charge more than you can afford to pay back. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.