cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Credit Journey Score - Inaccurate?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Credit Journey Score - Inaccurate?

Hi everyone,

My name is Christina, and I am new to these boards. I wanted to join in order to get some feedback from "real" people who get it and care about their credit, rather than 'yes' men/women of credit companies. 

I am a member of Chase bank, and recently, they've begun to offer something called "Credit Journey" to its members. It appears that it's linked to the TransUnion Vantage score.

I accessed it 2 weeks ago and it says that my score is 625 - I almost fell off my chair. At the end of last year, I was told when I was going for a pre-approved auto loan that my score was 705 (not great, but not '625' level). When it broke down my score factors, the top reason was that my oldest account is too new. My oldest accounts are two credit cards that have been open for 13 years.

I was only late once on three of my credit cards 10 years ago (October 2007, to be exact).... I have not been late on any of my cards since (and my newest card is about 2.5 years old). I have never had anything go into collections. I successfully paid off an auto loan this January that was never late in the almost 6 years I had it.

But I do have a very high debt-to-credit ratio (I have 9 credit cards, and my utilization is 50% or higher on all of them), and I have ample public student loan debt ($170k, although it's not in 'active' collections yet since I'm wrapping up my dissertation and am technically a FT student while I do that).

CareCredit offers its users a 'MyFico' score (I don't know which Fico score it is, sorry for my ignorance) and as of late last week, it said it was 696. Why are these so different? There was no contact information to inquire about this, and I don't really know what to do to improve it.

I want everything in good order so I can apply for a competitive mortgage in a couple of years with my husband, so any help you guys can provide about what to do would be helpful. Thank you!

Best,

Christina

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Credit Journey Score - Inaccurate?

Welcome to the forums!

All of the scores you are looking at are generated using different scoring models.  Thus, all of them are different.  Trying to compare any one to any other is like comparing apples to oranges.  Chase Credit Journey provides the same near-worthless VS 3.0 TU score that you can get from Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, Capital One Credit Wise and probably a dozen other sources.  When you were approved for your auto loan, no doubt some sort of FICO score was used.  If you go to your Care Credit account and look the score they give you, somewhere on that page perhaps in some fine print it should say something to the tone of, "FICO 08 score based on TransUnion data" - this is where you'd find out which scoring model and bureau they are using to provide you with that score.

The only time 2 scores can really be compared, apples to apples, is if they are generated at the same time using the same scoring model using the same bureau data.  Any time one of these factors differs between two scores, you aren't making a valid comparison of scores.

If you'd like your 3 FICO 08 scores for $1, you can get them from Credit Check Total.  I highly recommend that source and for a buck, it can't be beat.

Message 2 of 9
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

+1 good for info on changes.. The discover scorecard uses a TU Fico08 and it's free for Everyone, don't have to be a cardholder...but I use myFico premier 3B for my real scores.......Welcome 2 the forums !! Good Luck 2 ya 1
!!!!!!!!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply! I am happy to hear that. When I saw that the Chase Credit Journey score was powered ultimately by TransUnion, I was nervous that my TransUnion report was inaccurate (I just pulled my Experian last month on annualcreditreport.com ... I previously used to space them out so I could get all 3 for free at different points of the year, but I plan on signing up for the MyFico Premium 3B when I get paid at the end of the month). I will also check out the free scores you mentioned for $1! That's awesome.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't realize that you could get it for free from Discover without being a card member. I will check that out too. Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't realize that you could get it for free from Discover without being a card member. I will check that out too. Thanks!

Yup.  Discover members get their TU FICO 08 score for free through their account, where any non-members can get their EX FICO 08 score for free from creditscorecard.com.  Both of these scores are updated monthly.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@9CLINE wrote:
+1 good for info on changes.. The discover scorecard uses a TU Fico08 and it's free for Everyone, don't have to be a cardholder...but I use myFico premier 3B for my real scores.......Welcome 2 the forums !! Good Luck 2 ya 1
!!!!!!!!

The discover card gives you a transunion and the scorecard site by discover is experian, or at least mine is that way

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it is that way for everyone.
Message 8 of 9
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Yeap check it out at least it gives another FiCO score to got along with the Tu your already getting...

Discover Scorecard 

Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.