Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi 30-Day Late Reporting Error

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi 30-Day Late Reporting Error

Hi guys,

So I've been combing through my history lately, just trying to get my credit score back up to 740 from a low of 620 over the past couple of years. I noticed a 30-day late from August of 2017 on one of my Citi cards. There's no way I was ever late on any payments (I obsess over paying on time), so I contacted Citi and 3 different customer service reps have agreed with me that this was reported in error. There was no late payment at all, not that month and not at any point that I've owned the card. All 3 agents told me to either dispute it directly with each bureau or to send a letter to them formally disputing the error.

My question is, is this really my only recourse? Does anyone else have any experience getting them to file this dispute over the phone, etc? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi 30-Day Late Reporting Error

Well, Robert just shut me down with his response so... ignore my ill advice of filing a formal dispute. LoL.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 623(a)(2) directly requires that anyone who has reported information to a CRA has the responsibility to promptly update that information as necessary to maintain its current accuracy.

If they admit to inaccurate information, there is no issue of a dispute.  They automatically bear the burden of promptly reporting correction to the CRA.

"Promptly" would reasonably mean in  their next regular reporting cycle after becoming aware of the inaccuracy.

I would call them and advise of their statutory requirement to promptly correct on their own, with no need for you to file a dispute.

If they dont correct in the next reporting cycle, you can file a formal complaint with the CFPB for their blatant and willful noncompliance with section 623(a)(2).

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will call them now and attempt this. Thanks so much!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.