cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash Denied - Need to dispute, but with whom?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Double Cash Denied - Need to dispute, but with whom?

Citibank sent me a preapproval for their doublecash card so I thought I'd apply.

I was rejected because I have opened too many accounts within the past 24 months.

No biggie there. 

I received the letter from them yesterday stating they pulled EQ.

However, EX and TU both also show an inq from Citi on the same day.

Citi pulled all 3, and are telling me they only pulled one.

I called them for an explaination and they said they only pulled EQ and if I have a problem I need to contact the CRA to dispute the inq's.

I called the CRA's and they are telling me that I need to contact Citi to have the inq's removed, because they will just verify them as legit.

I called Citi back and they told me I cannot dispute through them because I'm not an account holder. Because they aren't a credit furnisher to me they won't do anything.

Who do I get ahold of regarding this? Do I file a dispute with the CFPB?

Citi is obviously lying to me about this. They pulled all 3 and are only claiming one, even on their letter they sent me.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Double Cash Denied - Need to dispute, but with whom?

You can send them a snail mail letter and ask them to rescind the HPs but beware that they are under no obligation to do so. Citi is known to double pull anyway and if they choose to triple pull like Capital One, they are allowed to do so as well. 

Message 2 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Sorry but there’s no basis for removing the hard pulls. You applied for the card and even though you were denied it doesn’t make the hard pulls disputable.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed that Citi has the right and probably won't do anything about the HPs.  I'm sorry for the denial but how many accounts was too many in your case?

Message 4 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It's fairly common for an issuer to pull multiple CRAs, but only mention relying on one report to make their decision.

I'd just cut your losses with the HPs and not waste further time on it.

Citi's customer service reps are generally pretty clueless. What they say on the phone will often make no sense, but that doesn't mean Citi was wrong to pull all three CRAs but only refer to one in the letter.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 8
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Citibank sent me a preapproval for their doublecash card so I thought I'd apply.

I was rejected because I have opened too many accounts within the past 24 months.

No biggie there. 

I received the letter from them yesterday stating they pulled EQ.

However, EX and TU both also show an inq from Citi on the same day.

Citi pulled all 3, and are telling me they only pulled one.

I called them for an explaination and they said they only pulled EQ and if I have a problem I need to contact the CRA to dispute the inq's.

I called the CRA's and they are telling me that I need to contact Citi to have the inq's removed, because they will just verify them as legit.

I called Citi back and they told me I cannot dispute through them because I'm not an account holder. Because they aren't a credit furnisher to me they won't do anything.

Who do I get ahold of regarding this? Do I file a dispute with the CFPB?

Citi is obviously lying to me about this. They pulled all 3 and are only claiming one, even on their letter they sent me.

The letter was telling you why they denied you based upon EX data, it was not saying they only pulled the one CB.  You applied and they can pull your CR from as many CRAs as they want.   The could have pulled Innovis, Sagestream, or any other CRA in addition to the big 3.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Who do I get ahold of regarding this? No one.

Do I file a dispute with the CFPB? No.

Citi is obviously lying to me about this. They are not.

They pulled all 3 and are only claiming one, even on their letter they sent me. They are not.

Don't give this another thought & thus cut your losses. Chalk it up to The Game.

Message 7 of 8
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you should be filing a dispute with yourself. While Citi generally will restrict themselves to one or two beureu's they have every right to open fire on all three whether intentionally or by accident. This is one of those cases where all you really can do is sit back and relax. If you really want to try something you can try mailing a letter to Citi at the address listed on your report requesting some adjustments but overall that is unlikely. In the future I recommend you check the card's requirements as not all lenders will guarantee a card with a preapproval and some will still subject you to certain limits.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.