Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Double Cash unauthorized pull

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Double Cash unauthorized pull

Hello All! New Member here...

I requested a limit increase request from Citi on 7/13/20. The web version of the request specifically states "We will not obtain a credit bureau report to evaluate your request, and you will receive a decision instantly." yet I received notification from my credit monitoring service that a pull was done.

On the 14th, I received a message from Citi stating "We reviewed your request to increase the credit limit on your Citi® Double Cash Mastercard® account. At this time, we're unable to approve this request because you currently have the maximum amount of credit we allow without your consent to review your latest credit report."

Customer Support is all over the place between telling me I agreed to the pull to no report was pulled and citing a declined letter I have yet to receive.

Has anyone experienced the issue of Citi pulling their credit without authorization? If so, how did you correct the issue? Also, who has a limit of over $60,000 on the Citi Double Cash Mastercard? Anyone?

8 REPLIES 8
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash unauthorized pull

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All! New Member here...

I requested a limit increase request from Citi on 7/13/20. The web version of the request specifically states "We will not obtain a credit bureau report to evaluate your request, and you will receive a decision instantly." yet I received notification from my credit monitoring service that a pull was done.

On the 14th, I received a message from Citi stating "We reviewed your request to increase the credit limit on your Citi® Double Cash Mastercard® account. At this time, we're unable to approve this request because you currently have the maximum amount of credit we allow without your consent to review your latest credit report."

Customer Support is all over the place between telling me I agreed to the pull to no report was pulled and citing a declined letter I have yet to receive.

Has anyone experienced the issue of Citi pulling their credit without authorization? If so, how did you correct the issue? Also, who has a limit of over $60,000 on the Citi Double Cash Mastercard? Anyone?

Do you still have that written message? Because that implies that they didn't pull your credit. Maybe wait to see what the letter says. If it has the same language, I imagine you can dispute the inquiries.

Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA provides the explicit ability for creditors to pull your credit report without any express authorization from you if you have requested new or increased credit from them. See FCRA 604.

The intent of permitting credit report requests based on a permissible purpose, as set forth in section 604, is to facilitate the processing and approval of credit and business transactions based only on a consumer request, thus eliminating issues associated with need to wait for an explicit consumer authorization, and issues associated with arguments that express consumer authorization was not obtained.  Otherwise, approval of credit transactions would come to a crawl.....

Message 3 of 9
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The FCRA provides the explicit ability for creditors to pull your credit report without any express authorization from you if you have requested new or increased credit from them. See FCRA 604.

The intent of permitting credit report requests based on a permissible purpose, as set forth in section 604, is to facilitate the processing and approval of credit and business transactions based only on a consumer request, thus eliminating issues associated with need to wait for an explicit consumer authorization, and issues associated with arguments that express consumer authorization was not obtained.  Otherwise, approval of credit transactions would come to a crawl.....

^^^Listen to him^^^

Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Sure, as a default, a creditor has the right to hard pull for new or increased credit.   But once you have explicit language saying that you won't do a pull,  doesn't something change?

Still, for me this would be a reward vs time question.   Hard pulls aren't all that damaging, and spending hours MAYBE getting it successfully removed may not be worth it.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Several post were removed. Quick reminder that FSR is mandatory. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This place is fun, lots of helpful people here. I hope you all enjoy the time you spend helping people here because I do.

Message 7 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, who has a limit of over $60,000 on the Citi Double Cash Mastercard? Anyone?

Theoretically, Citi has no cap on revolving credit lines as long as you have the income and/or assets to support the line.  I've seen a few screenshots of 6-digit lines.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, who has a limit of over $60,000 on the Citi Double Cash Mastercard? Anyone?

Theoretically, Citi has no cap on revolving credit lines as long as you have the income and/or assets to support the line.  I've seen a few screenshots of 6-digit lines.

I really appreciate you taking the time to send the info.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.