cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Student Cards: Why Wasn't I Denied?

tag
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Citi Student Cards: Why Wasn't I Denied?

11 months after obtaining my very first credit card with Citi, I find myself asking why they even accepted me in the first place.

Prior to applying, I had been listed as an A/U on my dad's credit card account for two months, which I found out later didn't even report Authorized Users to any of the three CRAs. I applied for the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card for College Students and my application was Accepted with an initial credit line of $1200 (I later converted this card to the regular Platinum Select card). One month later, I applied for the Driver's Edge for College Students card and was also approved with an initial credit line of $1000. I am very grateful and fortunate that I wasn't denied. It really got me thinking, however, of why Citi even bothered with taking a chance with me and not only granting me credit, but what I considered at the time to be a very generous initial credit limit. I had absolutely no credit history whatsoever, so it boggles me as to why they accepted me in the first place.

I ask because recently, I have heard of some people who were denied for Citi's Student cards due to insufficient established credit history. I was wondering if anyone might have any idea of why they didn't deny me when they could very well have. Citi has been very generous to me; I started out with initial credit limits of $1000 and $1200 but through the course of one year they have increased them up to $2800 and $3200. I also found out that my Driver's Edge for College Students card was upgraded to the regular, non-student Driver's Edge Options Platinum Select - I never requested this and the only reason I can think of why they upgraded me is a simple mistake on their part: perhaps an accidental conversion of the card...? but even that is hard for me to believe.

Message Edited by andyaycw on 07-25-2007 10:29 PM

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Student Cards: Why Wasn't I Denied?

@andyaycw wrote:
11 months after obtaining my very first credit card with Citi, I find myself asking why they even accepted me in the first place.

Prior to applying, I had been listed as an A/U on my dad's credit card account for two months, which I found out later didn't even report Authorized Users to any of the three CRAs. I applied for the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card for College Students and my application was Accepted with an initial credit line of $1200 (I later converted this card to the regular Platinum Select card). One month later, I applied for the Driver's Edge for College Students card and was also approved with an initial credit line of $1000. I am very grateful and fortunate that I wasn't denied. It really got me thinking, however, of why Citi even bothered with taking a chance with me and not only granting me credit, but what I considered at the time to be a very generous initial credit limit. I had absolutely no credit history whatsoever, so it boggles me as to why they accepted me in the first place.

I ask because recently, I have heard of some people who were denied for Citi's Student cards due to insufficient established credit history. I was wondering if anyone might have any idea of why they didn't deny me when they could very well have. Citi has been very generous to me; I started out with initial credit limits of $1000 and $1200 but through the course of one year they have increased them up to $2800 and $3200. I also found out that my Driver's Edge for College Students card was upgraded to the regular, non-student Driver's Edge Options Platinum Select - I never requested this and the only reason I can think of why they upgraded me is a simple mistake on their part: perhaps an accidental conversion of the card...? but even that is hard for me to believe.

Message Edited by andyaycw on 07-25-2007 10:29 PM

You probably PIF every month, don't you? I did that for a couple of months at one point and they automatically gave me a CLI. Citi Bank is awesome as long as you pay your bills on time. lol (unlike *cough*Crapital*cough*One*cough*)....
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Count your blessings honey and continue to be responsible with the cards, you're making a sound investment in your future financial healthSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

trinigal wrote:
Count your blessings honey and continue to be responsible with the cards, you're making a sound investment in your future financial healthSmiley Wink

Cheers to that advice!

Rob
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.