Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on spouse medical debts and CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Clarification on spouse medical debts and CR

I was going through and paying some medical bills when I opened a bill from a CA that was for a visit a while ago. It was for my spouse and addressed to her. In talking to them and trying to ensure a PFD they said something that caught my interest. So it had been reported as a collections on my wife's credit report, I was able to get a written agreement for PFD. But the agent I was speaking to said that the medical debt collection could be reported to my credit report as well.

Is that true? This is asking just out of interest as its not on my report and should be deleted now anyway. I know that for medical debts they can come after me for them, but do they or can they report to my CR as well? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: Clarification on spouse medical debts and CR

I'm not sure about this one. Did you sign any paper saying you would be responsible for the debt? If not I don't think they can put anything on your credit or really go after you for the debt. I would guess laws may be different in different states on this but this does not sound correct to me.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 4
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

PMS did it to my wife and she works for that hospital. It was a pain to get it removed.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've signed no forms and no discussion of liability was brought up. I viewed it as a scare tactic to get me to pay (pointless as I was calling to pay it off anyway). 

Was just interested if they can actually do that. I know I've read that they could come after me (the spouse) if she did not have the money to pay the medical debt. Which being a stay at home mom, she wouldn't. But wasn't sure if the statement that they could report it on my credit was accurate. Non issue since it's paid now and should be deleted from her report. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.