tag
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: Cloned credit card abroad

@Anonymous wrote:

omg 
This defenitly makes feel better lol 

How could that happen? 

It happens all the time, often for reasons you have no control over, so don't worry about the why. I've probably had a couple of dozen of these over the years. One quick phone call and it's taken care of with no loss to me. This is a good reason why you should carry more than one card while travelling, you always want a backup if there are problems with one (or two). Personally I carry at least three from different providers.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 11 of 13
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone!

I tried to look for a similar topic but I couldn't find anything so here it is... My credit card (Capital One) got cloned somewhere in Europe. Plus, it was rejected a few times. I want to know if anyone got a similar experience. It is the only credit card I have here and it is kind of nightmare everytime a I want to pay, Im afraid something will happen.

First rule of cards far away from home: Never have only one card.

While I have never had an exact experience as you due to picking great merchants when out of the country I have had a case where some genius in Germany thought it was a good idea to fake my Citi card on facebook. Naturally Citi was just as concerned when that charge came through so I did not have to deal with it too much. Also be aware that Capital One was recently breached so it is possible that the perpetrator leaked the info even though they are thinking they might have not done so. Lastly stolen card info is a part of having a card in the first place. It is almost impossible to be protected 100% of the time. If it was a debit card it would be worse.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lesson learn! Smiley Sad From now on, i'll be more aware about this, and take more than one credit card. You are right.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.