Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed CreditOne CC = Paid Loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed CreditOne CC = Paid Loan?

Are closed cc accts normally shown as "paid loan?" I closed CreditOne CC on 3/22. They seem to do everything a bit differently than others like Amex, Chase, Discover. 

Alert from EX lhours later... 

"Credit line closed-consumer request-reported by subscriber" "credit card - revolving terms" "paid satisfactorily."

Alert from myFICO...

"an account listed on your credit report has changed" "paid loan."  The alert also informed me "credit score down 7pts."

Seven point drop normal for closing a cc, or more in line with a loan closing? No matter... so happy to have the acct closed. Never should have opened it.

btw... CreditOne posted to EX before I even mailed certified letter to them... no need to send one, right? They said "status letter showing acct closed, zero balance will be here in 7-10 days.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed CreditOne CC = Paid Loan?

I have a credit one, and I understood the risks going in.  

I would not take the chance without mailing the letter personally.  Why risk it?  Just because they say it is closed, does not mean that can't change........

Message 2 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

btw... CreditOne posted to EX before I even mailed certified letter to them... no need to send one, right? They said "status letter showing acct closed, zero balance will be here in 7-10 days.

Regardless of what you see or what they say, send the letter CMRR requesting the account be closed and save the return receipt.  If there is a later need to dispute, it will be difficult for them to claim that they were not properly notified.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're right... Why risk it?! Risk of an issue with them is why I closed the acct. 

I never had an actual problem with CreditOne, payments always posted before their estimated time. Their website... it has problems way too often. The iPhone app is very good. But seeing so many horror stories posted... I lived in fear, didn't want to chance an error hurting my credit.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never even thought about there being an issue further down the road. They posted closed so quickly to EX, I was thrilled at no problems. Definitely better to have all the proof I could need. With all accounts, not just CredOne.

aahhh... CMRR! I've seen it a couple times, shoulda known certified mail. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Whether or not an account is "closed" is totally separate from the type of credit granted on the account.

Credit cards are revolving lines of credit that permit the consumer to purchase, and thus obtain credit, up to a specified limit,  with payments revolving around the current balance.

The CRAs permit closing of revolving accounts that still have a debt balance as a means for creditors to prevent the consumer from increasing the debt by making new purchases.  Closing does not affect the continued obligation to pay, the reporting of delinquencies, or the current status of paid or of a deliquency and remaining balance.

Loans are installment credit, contracted for specific amount of $ to be repaid in fixed installments with fixed dates.

Since the consumer cannot unilaterally increase the principal debt by making new purchases, there is no need or provision to close an installment loan that remains unpaid/delinquent.  As intructed in the CRA credit reporting manual, creditors should not report a date closed for an installment account until the debt is discharged.

I would suspect, in view of the inconsistency in reporting a credit card as a paid loan, that such a statement in a commercial credit report is not an inaccuracy in the consumer's credit file, but rather a crappy and erroneous report from the vendor.

I would contact the CRA and request clarification before disputing, as it may not be an actual issue of erroneous information in the consumer's file, but rather a poorly constructed credit report.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wait until the actual credit report is seen, not just an alert, before taking the time to contact the CRA.  Alerts are not always accurate and can show differently on the report.

The alert may say closed loan, but if he waits the CR may say CC closed.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.