Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed FNBO deleted after 2 years

tag
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

Closed FNBO deleted after 2 years

Closed FNBO was deleted after 2 years, all 3 CRA's.  Basically 8 years early.

Didn't change much for me as to AAOA or score.  I guess it just goes to prove

you can't always count on 10 years after closing an account.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
OmarR
Established Contributor

Re: Closed FNBO deleted after 2 years

Yup.

I had an account for 2-3 years. I closed it, didn't need it anymore. 28 years later, it is still reporting. 

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 2 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CJ7 wrote:

Closed FNBO was deleted after 2 years, all 3 CRA's.  Basically 8 years early.

Didn't change much for me as to AAOA or score.  I guess it just goes to prove

you can't always count on 10 years after closing an account.

I've had several (positive) accounts stop reporting well before the 10 year period was up.

I usually try to correct people who state "closed positive accounts will report for 10 years" but it's hard, especially when it's repeated so often.  Smiley Frustrated 

In most cases it's true, but the language should be "closed positive accounts may report for up to 10 years" since they aren't required to do so, and if they stop reporting early there's no recourse.

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Just notice that with mine too, intend to call and see why.
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Closed accounts can be removed in two different ways.

Yours was apparently not removed by the CRA, but rather by deletion by the creditor.

The CRAs have their own internal housekeeping policy of removing accounts once the reach approximately 10 years after closing.

However, creditors can choose to send a CRA a deletion of their account reporting at any time.  Creditors may wish to do their own housecleaning of dead accounts, or may wish to terminate any further consumer good-will requests of disputes of accuracy of reporting, or to simply avoid any need for continued monitoring if any information previously reported becomes inaccurate.

If you have a closed account removed at 2 years after closing, it was likely removed by a specific reporting of deletion by the creditor, and not by the CRAs internal removal policy.

Message 5 of 6
CJ7
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

... it was likely removed by a specific reporting of deletion by the creditor, and not by the CRAs internal removal policy.

This is certainly the case as it fell off all 3 the same month.  I think the question becomes why.

Hoping to hear what @gdale6 found out, as he indicated he was going to call and find out.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.