Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed auto loan not reporting correctly

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed auto loan not reporting correctly

I’m sorry if this is the wrong thread.

About three months ago I bought a new car and the dealership paid the old loan off. My EX and EQ updated in September that it is closed with a 0 balance.

My TU still hasn’t updated since the summer and still shows the old balance and “unavailable” for each of the last four months.

I’ve reached out to the original lender (credit union) and they have told me they update every month on the 29th, even to TU.

In November I sent a certified letter return receipt to TU saying the loan is paid in full and should reflect a 0 balance and closed.

The response I received is that it is verified. I called the credit union and finally got a call back for the person responsible for handling credit report info and she said she has no history of TransUnion contacting them about a dispute with my account.

In my TU dispute I included:
1) A hand written letter saying this account is now closed, with a 0 balance and directed them to update.

2) A zero balance letter I received from the credit union for my old loan.

3) copy of my credit union auto account showing my balance is 0

4) copy of final statement from credit union showing “balance 0” “this loan is paid and closed, do not send payment. This is for your records only.”

5) copy of the TransUnion report that shows the account I am disputing.

6) copy of my EQ report showing it being paid off in September

7) copy of my EX report showing it being paid off in September

Would like to know my next step? Thanks for any help
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Closed auto loan not reporting correctly

I'd save myself some grief and file a complaint with CFPB. You could pretty much copy this post, including providing supporting documentation.
Make sure to include all the pertinent details from your conversation with the lender regarding having no evidence of dispute from TU. Failing to do a reasonable investigation is valid reason for complaint, but also a subject to a fine.

Sorry you have to deal with this and good luck!
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed auto loan not reporting correctly

^^^^^^This exactly.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.