Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed credit card account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed credit card account

In 2011 my husband took out a secured credit card to help build his credit. Initially we sent them $200. The card had a $150 secured limit and the additional $50 covered the annual fee. We used it for gas twice a month and paid the balance when we got the bill. About 3 months in, we sent them an additional $50 which increased our limit to $200 and continued using it only for gas twice a month and paid it when the bill came. It served its purpose and brought his credit scores up enough for us to be approved for our mortgage. Every year the annual fee increased and the cc company changed hands nearly every year which made me uncomfortable so in November 2013 he closed the account and cut up the card. They said they'd take the remaining balance out of our secured amount and return any remaining money. Our balance was something like $80 at that time. About 6 weeks later we received a check for $120 from them. Okay done ... right? WRONG! The cc company changed names/owners again. Now suddenly in 2017 there is a charge off for $56 on my husband's credit reports from this new cc company which is exactly the amount we were told would be the annual fee that would be charged in January 2014 had we not closed the account. We've disputed it over and over. We've written them certified letters and they will not remove it from his report. I've even sent them a copy of the stub from the check they sent us returning our secured amount. Other than this, my husband has impeccable credit. A mortgage on which we have never missed a payment on in 5 years. A loan we have never missed a payment on in 2 years and a $5k line of credit through our bank that we keep at minimum 70% available at all times for emergencies that we have never missed a payment on. How can I get this charge off removed? I have proof the account was closed in Nov 2013 and that we never owed the annual fee as the accountwas closed prior to the start of the new year yet they refuse to remove it. I have even offered a pay-for-delete, without claiming ownership of the debt and was willing to pay the $56 just to get it off his report, they still refuse. It is being listed as closed by the credit grantor (not true) and paid but then below says charge off.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed credit card account

Sounds like a headache to me.  I'd probably submit a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to put some pressure on the company to make good on the situation. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a huge headache! And we are about to list our home for sale in September, so we will be applying for a mortgage within the year. I need to get this taken care of. It's like we're being punished for being responsible! I was thinking a complaint with BBB or even the attorney general's office if BBB doesn't work. All this for $56 is absolutely ridiculous.
Message 3 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
In 2011 my husband took out a secured credit card to help build his credit. Initially we sent them $200. The card had a $150 secured limit and the additional $50 covered the annual fee. We used it for gas twice a month and paid the balance when we got the bill. About 3 months in, we sent them an additional $50 which increased our limit to $200 and continued using it only for gas twice a month and paid it when the bill came. It served its purpose and brought his credit scores up enough for us to be approved for our mortgage. Every year the annual fee increased and the cc company changed hands nearly every year which made me uncomfortable so in November 2013 he closed the account and cut up the card. They said they'd take the remaining balance out of our secured amount and return any remaining money. Our balance was something like $80 at that time. About 6 weeks later we received a check for $120 from them. Okay done ... right? WRONG! The cc company changed names/owners again. Now suddenly in 2017 there is a charge off for $56 on my husband's credit reports from this new cc company which is exactly the amount we were told would be the annual fee that would be charged in January 2014 had we not closed the account. We've disputed it over and over. We've written them certified letters and they will not remove it from his report. I've even sent them a copy of the stub from the check they sent us returning our secured amount. Other than this, my husband has impeccable credit. A mortgage on which we have never missed a payment on in 5 years. A loan we have never missed a payment on in 2 years and a $5k line of credit through our bank that we keep at minimum 70% available at all times for emergencies that we have never missed a payment on. How can I get this charge off removed? I have proof the account was closed in Nov 2013 and that we never owed the annual fee as the accountwas closed prior to the start of the new year yet they refuse to remove it. I have even offered a pay-for-delete, without claiming ownership of the debt and was willing to pay the $56 just to get it off his report, they still refuse. It is being listed as closed by the credit grantor (not true) and paid but then below says charge off.

You filed the dispute with the credit bureaus? Did you send them your evidence?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. TransUnion deleted it from his file but Equifax continues to report it. It came back as verified. I've sent our evidence 3 times, the last time via certified mail and got a letter in response saying it is verified and they need more proof. I sent them the letter from the cc company stating the account was closed as well as the check stub from the check we were sent as a refund of our secured account. Yet they keep sending me the same requests for documents over and over again. I am not sure what more they could possibly need. The letter is clear, your request to close your account has been processed here's your refund. It's absolutely ridiculous already.
Message 5 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You haven't mentioned Experian. Do you need to do something about their report?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent my proof to Experian for the first time about 10 days ago so I am waiting for the results of the investigation to come back. I had a late start with them because there was an issue getting his report online and we had to request it via usps so it took much longer.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes. TransUnion deleted it from his file but Equifax continues to report it. It came back as verified. I've sent our evidence 3 times, the last time via certified mail and got a letter in response saying it is verified and they need more proof. I sent them the letter from the cc company stating the account was closed as well as the check stub from the check we were sent as a refund of our secured account. Yet they keep sending me the same requests for documents over and over again. I am not sure what more they could possibly need. The letter is clear, your request to close your account has been processed here's your refund. It's absolutely ridiculous already.

Have you called EQ and asked?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. My husband has called them 3 times now to explain the issue and get answers. Their response every time is "we need documentation ". He asks what more could you possibly need? They say proof the account was closed. He says I've already sent proof 3 times and they say it isn't on file so we send it again. I'm really sick of sending the same thing over and over again. The last time we sent it certified. They say it isn't on file he says well I havea pretty green card here from the usps that says someone received it. They told him to send it again. And strangely every time we call no supervisor is EVER available. He hung up the last time. I am not mailing the same thing again
It's been almost 3 months trying to resolve this. Trans Union handled it within 7 days. I'm really pissed, enough is enough. I don't see how this can be legal. And all over a measley $56 that should never have been charged to a closed account.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.