cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed credit card accounts with balance; marriage name change debacle.

tag
breadanger
New Visitor

Closed credit card accounts with balance; marriage name change debacle.

Hi,
I recently got married and am going through the whole 'Name Change'.  Which is proving to be an interesting situation.

I am also working on paying off all of my debt and have recently checked my credit history  to ensure I have all of my debt, past and current, up to date or paid off.  Everything is current.

The problem?

I have two credit cards, both of which are closed and both of which have a balance on them. (One is about a grand, the other is closer to 5 grand)  As far as I know, they do not show up on my credit report.   I am wondering if I should go ahead and change the name on the accounts to my new name?  Or, since I am planning to have both paid off within a year, two years tops if I should just let them be?

No matter where I've looked I have not been able to come up with a definite answer to this.

Suggestions?  Help?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Closed credit card accounts with balance; marriage name change debacle.

Welcome to the forum 

Not sure of the answer but those closed account with balances will result in a scoring ding 

I'll also ask that your question be moved to rebuilding forum to better help 

Best wishes 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum. Have you pulled your CR's? Have these cc's ever reported on your CR's?
Message 3 of 4
breadanger
New Visitor

It appears I have answered my own question after more research.  Thanks anyway!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.