Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a credit card with a balance

tag
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

Closing a credit card with a balance

If I close a credit card with a balance and continue to make payments, will the company then continue to report a payment history even though it’s closed since I am making payments? Making my credit history longer still.
As of 11/28/2018
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Closing a credit card with a balance

Closing a card is just about the same as having it open. You just cant charge on it any longer. So yes it will act as of its still open without new charges. It will still count on your AAoA's for 10 years after closing in most cases. And it is still figured into your util until its paid off. And the balance will reflect whats left until it hits zippo.

Message 2 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Closing a card is just about the same as having it open. You just cant charge on it any longer. So yes it will act as of its still open without new charges. It will still count on your AAoA's for 10 years after closing in most cases. And it is still figured into your util until its paid off. And the balance will reflect whats left until it hits zippo.

This^

It will remain on your report for several years even once closed. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Np1791 wrote:
If I close a credit card with a balance and continue to make payments, will the company then continue to report a payment history even though it’s closed since I am making payments? Making my credit history longer still.

Never ever close a credit card with a balance.

It may wind up getting reported as a totally maxed out card.

Do not close it until it's zeroed out.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I have to repectfully disagree. The card’s current balance and credit limit will continue to be factored into the score until paid in full. Expect no initial effect on the score, but some negative impact is possible when the balance is later paid off if you have a high util % on your other cards.

Message 5 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I have to repectfully disagree. The card’s current balance and credit limit will continue to be factored into the score until paid in full. Expect no initial effect on the score, but some negative impact is possible when the balance is later paid off if you have a high util % on your other cards.

You are wrong. On many occasions lenders have treated a card which is closed with a balance as being maxed out. They reduce the limit to the unpaid balance, thus indicating it is 100% maxed. Not all lenders do that, and you may have had a different experience. Which is why I said "may" rather than "will". But the risk is too great to ignore.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

You are wrong. On many occasions lenders have treated a card which is closed with a balance as being maxed out. They reduce the limit to the unpaid balance, thus indicating it is 100% maxed. Not all lenders do that, and you may have had a different experience. Which is why I said "may" rather than "will". But the risk is too great to ignore.

Ok. Understood. Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I agree with @SouthJamaica - when you close a credit card it's going to report $0 available credit, so if you close a CC with a balance it's almost always going to count as 100% utilization because there is a balance with $0 available credit. Once the balance is paid in full it will start reporting as a closed account with $0 balance with the credit limit at closing.

It makes no sense to me to close a CC with a balance, if you no longer want the card just wait until it's paid in full, what's the rush?

And actually I have a couple closed cards that report a $500 CL instead of the actual CL in the thousands - Barclays. I've "PC'd" a couple Barclays cards the "Barclays way" - app & get approved for the new card you want and then call and have them move the CL from the old card you no longer want to the new card and close that card. When you do that for some reason Barclays assigns a $500 closing CL instead of the actual CL. Who knows what Barclays would do if you closed the card with a balance, I don't want to find out.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with @SJ and @DaveInAZ. Don't close a CC with a balance.
Message 9 of 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Once again @SouthJamaica thank you. Now could you or @DaveInAZ or @Anonymous answer the OP's question? I got the message loud and clear. They got ignored while everyone was pointing things out to me. Thanks.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.