Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing low limit / sub prime cards

tag
anik28
Frequent Contributor

Closing low limit / sub prime cards

Hi all,

I've been able to score my goal cards after a lot of hard work on building my credit profile. 
I'd like to close my subprime cards as they have an AF and I won't have much use for them now.

will this affect my score? They don't have a very long history, about a year or so. And they're at a 0 balance so it won't affect my utilization. What do you say, keep or close?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing low limit / sub prime cards

Started out fresh with no cards with my CH13 DC in January 2021. I almost immediately got approved for Ollo, Capital One, Jasper, Mercury and Merrick with CLs between 2500 and 3000. Subsequently, I got secured cards from BofA and TD (both graduated quickly). Waited a year and then got approved for a bunch of Prime cards (in my signature) between May 2022 and October 2022.

Closed Ollo, Mercury and Merrick in September 2022 and October 2022. Jasper discontinued its card line in July 2022. My utilization is befween 0% and 1% each month. 

Closing those subprimes did not adversely affect my scores at all.

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 2 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@anik28I remember most of your climb back up the ladder. Kick em to the curb with their AF. Congrats!

Message 3 of 8
anik28
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1  thank you for all your insight to get me to this point! I didn't think it was possible for me but I stuck to my goals and came up with a plan - it's paid off now.

I'll be closing the sub prime accounts and not looking back!

Message 4 of 8
DXness
New Contributor

Yeah definitely go for it - those subprime lenders usually want to prey on you, don't let them anymore!  Accounts closed in good standing will stay on your report for up to 10 years, so you'll benefit from their effect on your AAoA and no more AFs.

__

Rebuilding, FICO 8s as of February 2024:

Message 5 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@anik28 wrote:

Hi all,

I've been able to score my goal cards after a lot of hard work on building my credit profile. 
I'd like to close my subprime cards as they have an AF and I won't have much use for them now.

will this affect my score? They don't have a very long history, about a year or so. And they're at a 0 balance so it won't affect my utilization. What do you say, keep or close?

Close. Most definitely.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 8
privacyadvocate69
Contributor

@anik28 wrote:

Hi all,

I recommend closing accounts you don't need, don't use or don't want - credit score be **bleep**.

This is doubly so for cards that have any kind of fee associated with them, or cards that are generally useless (low limit, high APR, no perks, etc). 

In general, I take the approach of acting in my best interest, and letting my credit score take care of itself. It isn't something people should obsess over.

I closed my AmEX Delta Platinum card because they ruled against me on a dispute that was for about $1.80. OK - fine. Fraudulent charge, but whatever. I paid the $1.80 and then closed the card. AmEX tried to keep me, but I told them where they could stick their card and didn't look back. Couldn't care less about lopping a 5 year old card with $25K limit off my report.

We have both closed a number of other cards because we just didn't feel like we needed or wanted them and didn't want to pay their annual fee. Our FICO scores are still over 830.

The only card I keep around even though I don't use and would never use it is our AlaskaUSA Visa card with a crappy $2500 limit. We've had it for 17 years and is a true "joint" card, which is hard to get any more.

Summary: worry less about your credit score and manipulating it, and concentrate on paying your bills on-time. The score will take care of itself (;

Message 7 of 8
shawnkp73
Established Member

Closing my subprime/low limit starter cards did not ruin my credit scores. Starter cards are just that...to get you started. Once you have built a credit foundation, its no need to hold on to cards that don't meet your needs.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.