Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing my Costco Account

tag
adelpit
Established Member

Closing my Costco Account

I've let my Costco membership lapse. It's not worth it to me, as a single person, even for gas.

As a result of non-membership, my Costco credit card soon will be cancelled by the issuer as well.

Should I cancel the card myself? Which looks better on my credit report, that I cancelled the card or the issuer? (I would guess it's better if I cancel.)

10 REPLIES 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing my Costco Account

@adelpit wrote:

I've let my Costco membership lapse. It's not worth it to me, as a single person, even for gas.

As a result of non-membership, my Costco credit card soon will be cancelled by the issuer as well.

Should I cancel the card myself? Which looks better on my credit report, that I cancelled the card or the issuer? (I would guess it's better if I cancel.)

There really is no negative effect whether you decide to close it or whether the issuer closes it as a result of ending your Costco relationship. It's up to you on which route you decide to take as there is no such thing as what looks better on a credit report (lender notation-wise) -- it's simply a matter of personal preference.

Message 2 of 11
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Personally I would close it myself. Everyone has pointed out to me 100x that the remark "Closed by credit grantor" has no effect, but I just don't like it.  I even closed my Marvel card 2 weeks before it was nerfed by Sync to avoid it.  Strictly a personal preference tho. Do you.

Message 3 of 11
hdporter
Regular Contributor

@adelpit wrote:

The better option is to call Citi and check whether your card is eligible for a product change to another card you desire, extending the card history.

Choose carefully:  If the card has a hefty SUB, you may want to apply for that card directly since you won't be eligible for it on a product change.

Message 4 of 11
adelpit
Established Member

Thanks for that helpful suggestions. I will look into a product change. However, I've read that product changes are not usually available for co-branded cards. We'll see.

Message 5 of 11
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

Personally I would close it myself. Everyone has pointed out to me 100x that the remark "Closed by credit grantor" has no effect, but I just don't like it.  I even closed my Marvel card 2 weeks before it was nerfed by Sync to avoid it.  Strictly a personal preference tho. Do you.

@805orbust  I'm wirh you, 👍🏼

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 6 of 11
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

I closed my Costco membership years ago. As a single person, I felt it no longer made sense to me. It was Amex at the time, and IIRC I just closed the card. My local Costco is a zoo anyway. The parking lot alone is pure anarchy. 

American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 7 of 11
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@Jeffster1 ... dude, SAME!!!!  I started wondering about my life choices when I went there at 11am on a Tuesday and the lot was packed!  I don't need a deal that bad. 😂

Fortunately it doesn't seem anywhere as insane in the South as it did in NJ.

Message 8 of 11
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

My local Costco (Marina del Rey) is insane. It shares a parking lot with a big supermarket and an In and Out. I don't miss it. I had a upgraded membership for years which enables you to enter an hour prior to the regular opening. This particular Costco always had a large crowd of entitled people wirh regular memberships standing there, blocking the entrance and loudly whining, "Why can't they just let us In?" Ughhh...

Message 9 of 11
adelpit
Established Member

I'm required to have a Costco account to keep the 'no annual fee' credit card account open. But if I'm not using the card, I'm effectively paying a de-facto annual fee of $60, or a whopping $120 with an Executive Costco account--for nothing. This is bait-and-switch and feels like a scam to me! An additional 4% off on their discount gas is good, but the drive to get there is long, the lines are ridiculous and I'll never buy enough gas to recoup my investment in the membership. The goal of the cheap gas is to get me in the store. I think this is called "vulturism". I call it SCAM!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.