Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Accounts Help Needed ASAP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Accounts Help Needed ASAP!

My girlfriend has numerous collection accounts that date back to 2003 after she served in the military.  Most are medical from an abusive boyfriend.   She has about 18 total collections ranging from $17 to $2000.   None have contacted her in the 2 or so years to try and get payment.  As we are both trying to get our credit in line, we want to know the best way to handle these?  Should we start off by sending a DV letter for each account?  Or should we just dispute the collections with TU, EX, and EQ?  I've read on the forums but I'm still alittle lost.

Thanks for any help.

Message Edited by bigdippin on 04-03-2008 12:45 PM
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Accounts Help Needed ASAP!

Do you have the $ to pay them?

I would DV them just to make sure they are still collecting on the accounts-  BUT be prepared to PFD

You may want to google "Whychat" a great way to handle medical collections.

Also be perpared for other creditors to come out of the woodwork as you improve your credit-
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.  We have the money to pay some of them.  But not the big balances yet. 
After we DV them, will they delete the report on the Credit Reports if they can't provide the information or is there something that we will have to do?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They will either -
Send the validation
or
Remove the entry from the CR's (and send letter)
or
Say you are past your 30 days to request DV.

bigdippin wrote:
Thanks for the response.  We have the money to pay some of them.  But not the big balances yet. 
After we DV them, will they delete the report on the Credit Reports if they can't provide the information or is there something that we will have to do?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

So if they send  that she is past her 30 days to DV, then we send the PFD letter right?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope - you ask them to PROVE then sent a dunning letter (if past sol) 

Seriuosly check WHYCHAT

bigdippin wrote:
Thanks,

So if they send  that she is past her 30 days to DV, then we send the PFD letter right?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I'm looking it up now.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, it looks like the SOL for Virginia (where she lived and most of the collections took place) is 3 years. So that would put most of those accounts out of the SOL. 
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.