Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Accounts

I have 7 items that i did settlements on last year on my credit reports. Now, i only have one credit card that i pay in full each month with a credit limit of only $500.00. It has never been late. Also, i have two student loans that are getting paid as agreed each month. Coupe of things i wanted to know...

• How long will it be that these 7 Negative Items have the greatest affect on my credit score? I understand that they will stay on the report for 7 years.
  • Negative items stay on the report for 7 years...Is that the "date of last payment", "date last reported", "date of last activity" or what?
  • What can i do about a $96.00 medical bill that i paid off since it was a small amount but was reported on my report nearly 7 years after i actually was at the hospital. I never received a bill for it. I saw it on my report and actually went on and got the information from a collection agency. They never contacted me but they say that they have been sending me bills to an address that i moved out of 6 years ago.

My score is 596 on equifax right now. Do you think i can get it into the 650+ range by end of this year. If so, what could be a good way to get it there.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection Accounts

Irvin wrote:
I have 7 items that i did settlements on last year on my credit reports. Now, i only have one credit card that i pay in full each month with a credit limit of only $500.00. It has never been late. Also, i have two student loans that are getting paid as agreed each month. Coupe of things i wanted to know...

• How long will it be that these 7 Negative Items have the greatest affect on my credit score? I understand that they will stay on the report for 7 years.
  • Negative items stay on the report for 7 years...Is that the "date of last payment", "date last reported", "date of last activity" or what?
  • What can i do about a $96.00 medical bill that i paid off since it was a small amount but was reported on my report nearly 7 years after i actually was at the hospital. I never received a bill for it. I saw it on my report and actually went on and got the information from a collection agency. They never contacted me but they say that they have been sending me bills to an address that i moved out of 6 years ago.

My score is 596 on equifax right now. Do you think i can get it into the 650+ range by end of this year. If so, what could be a good way to get it there.

1. Items have the greastest effect during the first two years.
2. That 7 years is 7 years from the date of delinquency
3. For that hospital bill. I would request verification of service complete with dates of service first by certified mail  If the dates o service is over 7 years ago adv the colleector that they are reporting this n violation of the FCRA and you would like it to be removed.  You have to give them 30 days to fix it.  Adv them if it is not removed you will report the illegal collection activity to the FTC.
4.  Do EVERYTHING by return receipt certified mail

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Irvin,

Negatives like these can only remain for 7.5 years from the DOFD (Date Of First Delinquency). If they are older than that, then dispute them as they are too old to still be reported.

For any that can still be reported, try to get a goodwill deletion. Basically, you're writing a letter to beg forgiveness for your past transgressions. It's a bit like confession, or pan handling. If you want examples, hop over to creditinfocenter and search for goodwill. Lots and lots of examples. PM me, and I'll be happy to point you to several examples that I know worked.

You don't wanna copy goodwill letters word for word. You read 'em and study 'em and get a feel for it. Apply the principle to your situation.

Probably a couple of goodwill examples in this forum, but far more on CIC.

Did the collection agency for the medical bill ever state in writing the address to which they were sending you bills? If so, send a copy of that to the credit bureaus and to the original creditor. Tell them you were never properly notified. This is why ya NEVER pay a collection agency without making them validate.

You might still try sending them a DV letter. They might not respond, they might delete, or they might do nothing.

FTC complaints help, and over time the worst violators might fall because of an investigation, but by and large it does little for you. Do file an FTC complaint, but don't expect a lot and do pursue other action.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two FTC complaints I made, one against a wireless company
1.  Got a personal call from the FTC and a few hours later a call from their corporate office offering three free months of service. (still have the service btw and not another peep of the problens that had plagued me for at least a year with those folks)
2.  Reaged collection account as above - no response personally from FTC this time but the next contact was a notification that the CAs entry would be removed from my reports and they would no longer persue collection activity

Message Edited by Brammy on 04-18-2007 09:05 PM

Message Edited by Brammy on 04-18-2007 09:10 PM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.