Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collector sent identity letter.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collector sent identity letter.

first of all this debt has never been reported to any credit bureau. This debt is from 5 years ago. I can't remember the last collection agency that had ownership of this "Banks debt".. but they Told me they cannot report to credit bureaus, Only if the actual bank did. I understand I should go through sending Transworld who now owns the debt a letter to verify all the details. But what I am getting at is are they just fishing because they do not have the information they need.(they don't)
The letter they sent was very vague didn't have any dates besides a random date in April when they sent it out and asked me if I wanted them two verify the debtrespond within 30 days of receiving letter. all it said was if I did not respond they would consider the debt as valid. Does this mean once they considered it valid they would definitely report it to a credit bureau?Also I'm pretty sure if I pay it it will just show up anyway am I right?
Since this has never showed up in the past and has been sold at least three times should I worry about this debt. And if so I probably should not pay it if it did get reportedsince it would drop off very soon am I correct
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collector sent identity letter.

@Anonymous wrote:
first of all this debt has never been reported to any credit bureau. This debt is from 5 years ago. I can't remember the last collection agency that had ownership of this "Banks debt".. but they Told me they cannot report to credit bureaus, Only if the actual bank did. I understand I should go through sending Transworld who now owns the debt a letter to verify all the details. But what I am getting at is are they just fishing because they do not have the information they need.(they don't)
The letter they sent was very vague didn't have any dates besides a random date in April when they sent it out and asked me if I wanted them two verify the debtrespond within 30 days of receiving letter. all it said was if I did not respond they would consider the debt as valid. Does this mean once they considered it valid they would definitely report it to a credit bureau?Also I'm pretty sure if I pay it it will just show up anyway am I right?
Since this has never showed up in the past and has been sold at least three times should I worry about this debt. And if so I probably should not pay it if it did get reportedsince it would drop off very soon am I correct

It may not show up, not all CAs report. If you want to have them validate the debt then I would request validation but all they need really is your name and whatever the OC gave them to begin with it doesnt take much to validate. If you know its yours you can skip the DV and just move to taking care of it with an offer to them to pay in lieu of it reporting.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I could pay to have it not report at all?I honestly don't think it's my debt but under $200 is not worth my credit report getting ruined. I do not have to wait until it reports to pay for deletion?
Message 3 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I could pay to have it not report at all?I honestly don't think it's my debt but under $200 is not worth my credit report getting ruined. I do not have to wait until it reports to pay for deletion?

IDK but if it was not a debt of mine, I would dispute it and ask for proof that the debt was mine. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is not on my credit report can I still dispute that? Or should I write a letter to them disputing the fact that it is not my debt and ask them to prove this with documentation from the original creditor or Bank?
honestly if I knew for sure I could pay for them to definitely not put it on my credit report I would do this plus I'm sure I could talk them down to half the price even though it's only a small amount.
Could I simply say I'm not taking responsibility of the Debt being mine but I am willing to pay for the sole reason to keep it off of my credit report? Especially since it is not mine.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've also been waiting to apply for American Express. With this situation arising I feel like I should take advantage of a prequalification since I could run into an issue here. I have nine inquiries in the last year most are from last June a car loan then the rest are from 6 months plus from American Express.
I understand this is not what my original post was about but I am simply asking if others would jump on the offer now rather than risking this showing up on my report next month
Message 6 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Did you get a letter? If yes, somewhere near the end, does it say something like: “the SOL has passed and you do not have to pay this debt and we cannot report it to any Credit Reporting Agency.” If this language is there, you’re good. If that language is NOT there, you should dispute the debt.
https://www.crediful.com/debt-validation/

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much
Message 8 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If you believe its not yours then yes proceed with DV and if its not and it reports you can always use the laws afforded you in the FCRA to have it excluded.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know the last collection agency told me they do not report to the credit bureaus, but I believe Transworld does. I almost want to just pay for them to not report because I had a issue similar with Kay's Jewelers where I did pay to delete but didn't know any better and did not get documentation. I kept disputing and eventually the account was taking off after a complaint to the CFPB. Not sure if related
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.