cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collector told me they CAN'T report to CRA. Why?

tag
JimmiS
Established Member

Collector told me they CAN'T report to CRA. Why?

I have a $2000 collection from a storage company. The collector told me it's coded so they can't report it to the CRA. Why would she volunteer this information? Why can't they report? They don't have my SS#? I remember threatening in writing to sue them if they impaired my credit since I shouldn't owe them anything. But that's another story. Anyhow, then she started negotiating the price. Should I pay this or will it never amount to anything? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Collector told me they can report to CRA. Why?

First, do you agree that this is a valid debt or are you disputing ownership with the CA ?

Not sure why they'd say they couldn't report to the CRBs but maybe they're using this as leverage to get payment?

What is the SOL for written contracts in your state, this should give you an idea on how much longer the clock would potentially be running for being sued.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
JimmiS
Established Member

It's only a year old.

Message 3 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Possibly the storage place still owns the debt and they are collecting on behalf of the storage place. You can call the storage company and ask if they still hold the debt. If so work out a plan to pay it off before a CA lands on your report. Sounds funky.

Message 4 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I agree that it makes sense to pay it, given that it's not reporting and very likely still within SOL at only 1 yr old.

I'd make sure to get it in writing that they won't report to CRBs in exchange for payments.

Again this assumes that you aren't disputing ownership of the debt.

Message 5 of 8
JimmiS
Established Member

The storage company tried to get me to bring them cash or a money order. I'd rather deal with the collector. I trust them even less.

Message 6 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It's not unusual for creditors to ask for a money order for payment, just make sure you get a written receipt.

Whether you settle with the CA or OC ask them to also agree in writing not to report to the CRBs.

Message 7 of 8
JimmiS
Established Member

What iS odd is the collector told me she can't report it to the CRA's.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.