cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast Won't EVER Remove Incorrect Hard Inquiry Because it's Their Policy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comcast Won't EVER Remove Incorrect Hard Inquiry Because it's Their Policy?

So I've been removing inaccurate info on my credit reports.  I live in California and someone tried to open a Victoria's Secret CC and a sign up for Comcast services in Michigan.  Comcast showed up in Equifax so si disputed it online and they basically told me to contact the original creditor.  It took me 4 different calls, but I finally got a hold of the fraudulent claims department in New Jersey.

They confirmed that I didn't have an account open with them and if I want to dispute something I have to send them a copy of a police report.  Really?  I was able to dispute other the other account on the phone and get it resolved in 15 minutes.  I was livid.  I'm not going to the police with this?  I escalated and asked to speak to someone higher up.  The Comcast rep finally tells me that it's their policy to not remove Had Iquiries.  Ever.  I told him it wasn't that he couldn't, he just won't.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't against the FCRA guidelines for providing inaccurate information?  I told him that it was against the law and asked to be connected with someone higher up.  What recourse do I have?  Sue? Write a letter?

Frutrated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comcast Won't EVER Remove Incorrect Hard Inquiry Because it's Their Policy?

One inquiry is no big deal. You should be more worried about the identity theft issue. That will f*ck up your score even worse. 

Freeze or lock your reports and file a police report.

Message 2 of 4
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

I agree with Vsevold, you're worried about the wrong thing here.  The inquiry will dissapear on its own in a relatively short time.  

Someone has enough of your personal info to apply for credit accounts, which can really cause you huge trouble in the future.  I would 100% file a police report if I saw fraudulent activity on my report.  It is also a technical requirement of the law in order to be granted certain legal protections, that you make your claim of fraud "official" by signing/swearing a legally binding document like a police report.  You just saying so over the phone to some call center goon isn't good enough -- some companies might not care and just get rid of it to remove the hassle, but they're not required to under those circumstances.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA was amended to provide for the block of any information from your credit report, without any involvement or concurrence with the reporting or inquiring party, if the consumer files a police report asserting that the information is not related to any account or transaction authorized by the consumer.  FCRA 605B.

I would file a police report if the inquiry clearly has no permissible purpose based on any transaction initiated by you.

See the "Victim of Identity Theft?" sticky-post in the upper section of the General Credit Topics forum for details on the identity theft process.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.