Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity Bank Pre-approval after cancellation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity Bank Pre-approval after cancellation

Hi guys
Four week ago I applied for 6 cards issued by Comenity Bank two of them I started using them C21 card and William Sonoma’s visa all of sudden the bank shut me down and close all new accounts .the thruth is I didn’t know that’s such inquiries can cause me that problem specially the relation I had with Comenity Bank in last two years they ve been so good to me I had many store cards with them I pay on time and I use all of them .very good CLI any time I click the bottom ..now I learned my lesson it was my mistake anyway I thought I will go for Visas and Mastercards with the Bank I know anyways last two days I keep receiving a new pre approval from those cards canceled by the Bank specially C21 and William Sonoma .and the first time I got them was hard inquiries and never received a pre approval until now ..does any one experience the same thing or any one knows if I accept the offer will that cause me problems again ? I tried to search online but can’t find answer .someone knowledgeable can tip me thanks guys
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity Bank Pre-approval after cancellation

The marketing department of banks does not talk to the underwriting department.

Preapproved offers online are offered by marketing.  Underwriting can and will shut you down.

Why do you want so many cards? Do you actually shop at all of these different stores to get better value than 1 or 2 prime bank cards?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

First .i had a credit problems long time ago so when I decided to start using credit again Comenity Bank was the only saver plus they approved me for he stores my wife and daughter do there shopping so I went for it after two years my score went up from 495 to 726 and I was able to add capital one secured then unsecured card and I got two discover cards so I dicided it is the time to upgrade to visas and master cards with Comenity Bank and was planing to close some cards like Milestone indigo lend up and was planing to stop for one year then go for maybe Amex .but Comeity Bank left me in the side of the road
Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

If Comenity shut down all your accounts I would not poke the bear again, regardless of how enticing the pre-approval offers might seem.

If at this stage in your credit journey your profile and scores have matured and/or improved there should be no reason why you wouldn't be able to qualify for other Visa/MC or even AMEX products with better benefits in the long run from other banks or Credit Unions.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right about that I should of done that before I went to prime cards with Comenity Bank .after what happened I end up with less credit age too many new accounts and inquiries so my score took a hate again now I am in 600 s ..I wich I knew better I thought the Bank is treating me good so why not .plus you know the feeling when you get denied from everyone then you start get approved after the hard work .i said ohh finally I am back in track so never bite the hand raised to you .anyway I took it as a man and life will continue and I am still positive about Comenity Bank and I think the Bank should do better too in approving applications people don’t know what she going on or don’t have a time to search for info .it would be better if the Bank will just put pending on the application and let you know that you are having too many inquiries and the bank is agains that instead of breaking you down specially for someone like me Who is been working so hard last two years to get back .as I said I still have no regrette for dealing with the Bank .and guess what ?the bank still increasing my limit on the other cards.
Message 5 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

So, did Comenity shut down all of your accounts (i.e. store and co-branded Visas/MCs? Or, only the most recent ones that you applied and were approved for?

If they left some accounts open, I still wouldn't take the bait at this point on any Comenity pre-approved offers, regardless. Let time do its thing and heal the wounds.

For those of us who still have active accounts with them, no issues so far, but I'm one who tends to proceed cautiously, especially when adjustments have been made to their UW & Risk models plus anything out of the ordinary can definitely spook them. The landscape has definitely changed.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree with you .i think it is time to slow down .yes other store cards are ok and as I mentioned they just raised my CL .as I mentioned it is 8 new accounts total 2 I was using already C21 and William S visa other 6 are new just activate them then they canceled them and for the pre-approval is only for the cards I was using they are like 2 months old I thought maybe they figured out that I am in good standing with too many accounts and is unfair to cancel those two cards also so they want me to apply again and reinstate them (is only my thinking) I know the banks have no feeling and is all about busenise .plus they are making goood money with me also so is not a charity or favor .but anyway I’ll take your advice and ignore those invitations
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.