Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity using BS internal credit score and tanking my limits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity using BS internal credit score and tanking my limits

so i've been fighting with comenity for a while now and to put a long story short i got a notice that my limit on one of my cards was put form $500 to $200 and the reason cited was that my equifax score was 570, which is complete nonsense as my scores have never been below 600 and even then it was only that low because i went for a new subaru and they did the usual shoping around for loans and that ran up about 8 or 9 hard pulls.

currently my equifax is 636, my transunion is 621 and my experian is 619

so i dispute it and then finaly get the response that the dispute was denied and the reasoning is that the score they used was (exact words) an internal scoring system and that was what the system assigned as my score.

even the customer support supervisor looked at my account and couldn't understand why they reduced my limit i had 1 missed payment with them in almost 5 years and 2 missed payments on my report in it's entirety out of 8+ years of revolving accounts with no closures and no charge offs and no other major items of concern.

he then told me that my only option is to submit another dispute and there is no way to talk to or send a message to the group who handles the disputes so i'm effectively SOL

now i am getting notices that they are reducing my other cards with them in a like fashion with the same BS score that now just say that it is 570 and no bureau or other credit agency being listed as the score source.

i now know they are pretty **bleep**ty as far as card companies go so are they now finnaly ditching the regular reporting sources and just doing their own thing?

do i have any recourse? maybe the BBB? i really want to close my cards with them now as they've been nothing but trouble but between all the store cards with them that i've used to build my credit thats over $3500 of my avail credit that would be chopped off my report and would likely really hurt my scores.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Comenity using BS internal credit score and tanking my limits

Welcome to My Fico  welcomewave (1).gif

I really hate to lecture when you're down but that missed payment with them and the other missed payments are in a fact a big deal.

Once a CC issuer starts AA, it's pretty much a done deal.

With Comenity, there is no appeal.. I'm sorry.

Perhaps app for something else to make up the available credit you're going to lose.

Again, sorry. 

Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

well those missed payments are from years ago, they are just on my report, the one from them was at their instruction; i had been laid off along with the whole department when that job outsourced their IT dept and had the hardship insurance so i called and was told it i HAD to let the payment go for a 30 day period in order to use the insurance at all and they said that if i make a payment that i would never be allowed to use that insurance.

this was back in 2013 or so; comenity started this whole thing with my limits just this last year so they already new about the missed payment to them.

the other missed payment was even earlier back in 2011 or 2012 and was with paypal, think it was about the end of the year so not sure if it was before christmas or after.

so the only bad things on my report they knew about long before this, and the kicker is that when they started doing this with the limits my income took a massive jump as i got a new job that added almost a third to my income (went from 29k to 37k per year) and now when i got these additonal notices i am at another job as a sys admin that has now jumped my income to 55k/yr so i've been doing everything i was supposed to and even have more available income so i dont understand why they are reducing my limits or where they get this BS score from

Message 3 of 30
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

I know it seems unfair, sorry..

What is keeping your scores depressed? Any other neg items?

Also what was your uti on those cards? Over all cards? 

Those things can help figure out why this is happening.. 

Message 4 of 30
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Unfortunately once any creditor starts AA, you are not going to get anywhere with them, disputing or filing a complaint won't help.

Creditors can and do what they want basically and leave us very little recourse. Sorry this happened to you .
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

There may be more going on here than just some inquiries from the dealership.  If the loss of $3500 in credit lines will tank your scores, that suggests that you might have a UTI issue.  Have you carried high balances for any length of time on any of your cards?  What is your current UTI?  How many accounts have you opened up recently?

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

well those missed payments are from years ago, they are just on my report, the one from them was at their instruction; i had been laid off along with the whole department when that job outsourced their IT dept and had the hardship insurance so i called and was told it i HAD to let the payment go for a 30 day period in order to use the insurance at all and they said that if i make a payment that i would never be allowed to use that insurance.

this was back in 2013 or so; comenity started this whole thing with my limits just this last year so they already new about the missed payment to them.

the other missed payment was even earlier back in 2011 or 2012 and was with paypal, think it was about the end of the year so not sure if it was before christmas or after.

so the only bad things on my report they knew about long before this, and the kicker is that when they started doing this with the limits my income took a massive jump as i got a new job that added almost a third to my income (went from 29k to 37k per year) and now when i got these additonal notices i am at another job as a sys admin that has now jumped my income to 55k/yr so i've been doing everything i was supposed to and even have more available income so i dont understand why they are reducing my limits or where they get this BS score from

Whatever scoring methodology Comenity chooses to use is not "BS" so you should immediately disabuse yourself of that notion.  Its their money and therefore they can set whatever rules they want as long as there's no discrimination.

I am curious as to why  your self-reported scores are so low; they are all sub-prime.  There must be something in your credit history that is causing your low scores and making Comenity take adverse action against your accounts

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe its time to just cut ties with them and move on?  Thats what i did a few years back with a Wells fargo card that i had and they changed the fees.  I will give them another chance in the future perhaps, but well see.

Message 8 of 30
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Besides what has been said you must be aware that nearly all if not all creditors are going to have an internal risk assessment on their customers. Sounds like something else is holding your scores in the low 600s & their internal risk assessment is throwing flags up.

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

as far as i can tell the average age of accounts (coming up on 8 years) and that i dont have any mortage, or loans other than my car; i live in my families home on our horse farm and rent the in-law apartment here.

my total util is about 78% but when this started was 70% and was going down, i had had to use a good portion of my navy federal credit card for roof repairs when a bad storm tore shingles up in a small section and soaked the baseboard so they had to be replaced so that drove it up.

the comenity cards are largely unused; i had about $2000 in credit with them out of which i had used about $600, the cards i have are HSN, gamestop, and Kingsize, limits were $1000, $500, and $500 respectively, hsn is still at $1000 and has no running balance. gamestop has about a $70 balance but was $130 and change at the time of the first notice and the kingsize has about $378 for a balance but was at $468 at the time of the notice

in total between all my lines of credit as far as revolving accounts i have a limit of $9900 of which i have used about $7600 currently, when this started i had used about $6800 or so maybe a little less.

i always make my payments and usually pay a bit more than the minimum, maybe not multiples more but $15-30 more than the minimum depending on whats going on.

the comenity cards are also some of my oldest cards from going on 6 years ago now, i had not been able to get any lines of credit really until i was about 24 just due to the fact that i had no history so even though i had a job and minimal housing bills due to living with family in an apartment i couldn't get any approvals until about 2011 with paypal credit and later a comenity card for hsn

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.