cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity won't let me pay what they are requiring me to pay! What should I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comenity won't let me pay what they are requiring me to pay! What should I do?

I've been working on my credit and am very diligent about making my payments.  Last weekend I noticed that my Victoria's Secret card by Comenity shows an outstanding balance of $17 but a minimum due of $25.  So I sent a secure message and asked them to clarify what my required payment is by the due date.  They tell me that I must pay the $25 or I will get a reported late payment because returns after statement close down't apply to minimum payment.  So I log back in and try to pay the $25 and they won't accept it.  It keeps telling me to select a payment amount equal to or less than my outstanding balance.  So I call and they refuse to accept the $25 and refuse to put anything in writing saying that the $17 is acceptable!

First of all this seems illegal to me that they would even require more than the outstanding balance.  But then to refuse to accept my payment for the amount that they are demanding is just outrageous.

What am I supposed to do?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Comenity won't let me pay what they are requiring me to pay! What should I do?

Pay the 17.  25 is the default minimum payment, but when you pay the 17, your balance will be 0 and your payment due will be 0.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Comenity won't let me pay what they are requiring me to pay! What should I do?

I understand that, but they put in writing that if I don't pay the $25, they will report me as late, regardless of what my actual balance is.

Message 3 of 8
p-
Valued Contributor

You can't make them take 25.  Your choices are pay the 17 or don't pay.  I guarantee if you don't pay you're gonna have a problem.  Go online, pay the 17 dollar balance, and log back in tomorrow to see what it says.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is really a concern, you could always push a payment from your bank to Comenity for $25.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you returned an item and it lowered your balance to $17? Just pay the 25 to be safe. It's 8 bucks and you will have a credit. I would just play it safe.
Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you wish to force a written response as to what your obligation is, then file a dispute under the FCBA of their billing/payment requirment.

No negative reporting can be made to a CRA while an FCBA dispute is pending.

Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What am I supposed to do? 

Pay the $17.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.