cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing call from restricted # regarding collections?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confusing call from restricted # regarding collections?

Just got a call from a restricted number. I don't normally answer those, but since I'm expecting a call back from a dr's office I answered it. They asked for someone by the name of my former legal name, which has been changed for 9 years. Thinking it could possibly be someone looking for me if something has happened to my mother (who I have no contact with but am still listed as the emergency contact as I guess) I said yeah that's me. 

They proceded to say this was regarding a legal matter, a "complaint filed against me", which they couldn't specify what it was, and that I had 2 hours to contact this agency and give them this case number to find out what it is, otherwise they would be "proceeding with this case without me." The agency they told me to contact was LMG Associates. I googled it and couldn't find much, but I'm guessing it's some bogus debt collector?

I think it sounds like a load of BS. It just doesn't add up because my name has been changed for 9 years. Anything that old has dropped off of my credit report. The only outstanding debts I have or have ever had, are medical bills. I used to live in OH, I live in NY now, I don't know the SOL for either state but I'm pretty sure that they can't come after me for something that old. 

This whole call just freaked me out a bit. I don't think they can actually do anything, whoever they are. Has anyone had a similar call before?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Confusing call from restricted # regarding collections?

Sorry duplicate reply

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Its a scam, I have gotten these calls looking for my husband. If you Google this scenario you will see this is happening to alot of people.

Nobody calls and tells you there is a complaint filed against, you get served papers period. Don't be shocked if they start calling any numbers related to your either,  they called my daughters cellphone as well.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 6
JVille
Valued Contributor

I agree Scam!!!!
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FDCPA 807(11) mandates that the debt collector must, in their initial communication with the consumer, disclose that they are attempting to collect on a debt.

FDCPA 809(a) then requires that they send a formal collection ("dunning") notice within 5 days after the initial communication.

They have failed to comply with section 807(11),  apparently in a deliberate effort to avoid triggering the requirement to send dunning notice.

Both, separately or in combination, are potential violations of the FDCPA, and suggest that their practices may be a scam ,or at the least,  in avoidance of the requirments of the FDCPA.

I would suggest, for the general benefit of others, that you take a moment to file a formal complaint with the CFPB, outlining their violations.

If they are conducting a general practice of scamming, then the CFPB may, if multiple complaints are received, be spurrerd to their own investigation and potential civil action.

Additionally, the FDCPA provides for statutory damages for any violations, meaning you need only show that they have violated a provisiion, and do not need to show that their violation was intentional.  You can receive $1,000 in statutory damages if you pursue civil action.

Message 5 of 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Roberteg

These companies have been calling people and trying to scare them. We have a few dormant debts from years ago . They call people and try to scare them into paying on a debt that is legally not collectable or reportable. They are scum and i wish people would take your advice and nail them myself included.

They have called my cellphone and asked for multiple names associated with my hubby. I am sure they ran a search and got my number and my hubby relative names and then started hitting up my number I told the guy how many violations he was breaking and he hung up and I haven't heard a peep since., funny never once to they do they say this is an attempt to collect a debt just kept saying a complaint will be filed if he doesn't contact them immediately , yeah ok lol.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.