Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidation of loans

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

Consolidation of loans

In anyones  opinion, does it make sense to  combine my two personal loans?  These are the specifics:

1st loan balance $23078 (14 day pay off)   $495  mo   15.65%       exacatly  72 mo remaining for both

2nd loan balance $18648 (14 day pay off)   $398 mo   15.69%

combined @ about  $41678 or roughly 42k

total payment now is $893 between the two  according to FICO report 

current credit scores across the board  (FICO) above 775.

USAA could possibly be as low as 9.49% with excellent credit also.

these loans are between NFCU & USAA with whom I've done all my business with.  I would apply with NFCU.

Thanks!

current DTI is 25% and would drop to about 24%.   

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
babbles
Established Contributor

Re: Consolidation of loans

sorry for the long post but probably answered the question myself, thanks anyway!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it was me and I could get a significantly lower rate and payment, I’d do it.

Message 3 of 8
babbles
Established Contributor

sometimes I get  jitters in being declined and wasting an inquiry.

I did go for it and ended up getting  9.74% for 72 mo @$767 mo, saving 5.95% per month in interest which equals saving  $124 per month.

I guess I would take two or three hits for this on my credit files;  one  for the inquiry, one for the consolidation, and one for the old accounts being closed out?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your consolidation loan approval!

Message 5 of 8
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@babbles wrote:

sometimes I get  jitters in being declined and wasting an inquiry.

I did go for it and ended up getting  9.74% for 72 mo @$767 mo, saving 5.95% per month in interest which equals saving  $124 per month.

I guess I would take two or three hits for this on my credit files;  one  for the inquiry, one for the consolidation, and one for the old accounts being closed out?

Congrats on improving your loan terms!

You should only take a "hit" for the inquiry and the new account.  You might get a temporary hit as the new account might report the balance of $42K before the old loans report $0, but that should fix itself within a month or two.  You shouldn't see any hit from the other loans being closed out.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 6 of 8
babbles
Established Contributor

Credit mix is terrible now!

I did a consolidation and I think my credit mix may not be too good at this point:

rolled up two loans  within the last week and both were only open 1 year even 

have two credit cards reporting with 0% utilization, one with a high of 24k and one  @ $500  

one auto loan only been open 6 months (refinanced)  72% utilization

oldest account  15yr 8 mo  average 8yr 9 mo

one of the consolidated loans  paid off on experian this morning and got an amazing 10 point drop

Is that a weak credit mix?

Message 7 of 8
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit mix is terrible now!

No, it’s not bad by any means. You have credit cards and an installment loan, so you’re doing well. I suppose you could add another card for the “ideal” number of credit cards, but don’t feel like you absolutely have to if you don’t need one. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.