Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Success Stories

tag
andersk08
New Contributor

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Success Stories

I recently submitted disputes to Equifax and Transunion regarding an old Santander account that was included in my Chapter 7 discharge. They are both reporting as anactive charge - off on both reports. They both came back as "Verified" so I submitted a complaint to the CFPB today. Will post results when I get them. Has anyone had any success with filing a dispute / complaint with them? If so please share. Thanks!

Starting Scores: ( 9-9-14 )
Equifax FICO - 507 TransUnion FICO - 580 Experian FICO - 535
Current Scores: (10-08-14)
Equifax FICO - 552 TransUnion FICO - 639 Experian FICO - 609
ALL pulled from MyFico 3 Bureau Monitoring
Goal Score - 650 Across the board ( For Starters )
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Amleigh
Regular Contributor

Re: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Success Stories

I filed a complaint with them regarding a Bloomingdales account that was on my credit reports, and it was deleted from all three reports. I had also disputed the accounts with the credit bureaus beforehand and they came back "verified". Wishing you luck! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 467 EQ 514 TU 583 EX
Current Score: 531 EQ 567 TU 601 EX
Goal Score: EQ 742 TU 742 EX 742

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
andersk08
New Contributor

Thanks! Im glad you were successful! Crossing my fingers Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 5
mo6579
Contributor

I had 2 successes with CFPB:

1. Equifax Resinerttion:

I disputed a Midland tradeline, the dispute results were "Deleted". That same day, a new Midland TL with same account # was added to EQ. I disputed...confirmed. Mailed a dispute to the legal dept. ...confirmed. Submitted the above to CFPB, 10 days later deleted. The CRAs can't reinsert without notification, among other factors.

2. Collections Dispute

I disputed a CFS2 account with all 3 at various times (EQ and TU deleted quickly). At one point, they responded with a letter dated the same as their 'confirming' dispute results that, pretty much, they didn't have the data necessary and that they would request it from the OC. Well - the law doesn't give that time, either they have it in 30 days or they don't. So I again disputed w/ EX. TL reported a $0 balance. I was nervous to do so, but I again disputed that the account shouldn't be there based on the letter. Disputed info confirmed, and they added the balance back. I complained to CFPB. EX responded that they couldn't use my documentation which included my letters to CFS2 and CMRRR (why the heck not!?), but they'd bring it up with the creditor. about 10 days later, I had a deletion from that dispute.

I've found CFPB works if the creditors or CRAs mess up somehow, even very little, and refuse to admit it. CFPB is kind of like the last fire to hold their hands to before federal lawsuits, and it works.

Current Fico08 TU:654 EX:641 EQ:650 (01/31/2015)
Current Fico04 TU:??? EX:695 EQ:675 (01/31/2015)
03/2013 - TU:567 EX:490 EQ:540
Message 4 of 5
andersk08
New Contributor

Awesome thanks for the information.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.