Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - T-Mobile old debt dispute

tag
VadorableY

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - T-Mobile old debt dispute

Hello,

I recently filed a dispute with the CFPB regarding a an old debt from T-Mobile (2015) that was placed on my report by South West Credit Systems.  When SWCS received the complaint from CFPB, they immediately removed the debt from my credit report and my score went up by over 40 pts.  Now, the debt has been verified by T-Mobile.  I still dispute the debt, but want to know if it's best for me to contact SWCS to negotiate a settlement before the negative mark shows back on my report or should I wait to see if SWCS will place the default back on my report and then try to PFD.  Not sure what to do and how long it will be before I see this negative mark agin on my report. 

Trying to prepare to be qualified for a mortgage in the next 6 months.

Thank you for any advice. 

src="https://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png">Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 631
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - T-Mobile old debt dispute

Is the debt valid? If so, have T-Mobile recall the debt and pay them. If not, call a consumer protection attorney if they try to add it back to your reports. If you just want it to go away, have T-Mobile recall the debt and pay them.

Message 2 of 11
VadorableY

Thank you so much for your advice.  I can own up to part of the debt, but not the full $1994.  If it means I will need to pay it, to make it go away, I'm willing to do that because it has suppressed my scores for so much for so long.  I want this to be over.  This is a debt from 2015 and I'm trying to clean my report.  I will reach out to T-Mobile.

Thank you again. 

src="https://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png">Starting Score: 534

Message 3 of 11
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

I would try to get T-Mobile to recall the debt as previously stated. If they refuse, you can also file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that oversees telecommunications companies. I filed a complaint against Frontier Communications regarding an alleged CO old bill from 2017 and still having current service. Frontier recalled the CO and deleted if from my Equifax report (it was on only one CRA). Wishing you success in resolving this issue to your satisfaction.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 4 of 11
VadorableY

Thank you for the advice.  I plan to reach out to T-mobile.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's like 6 years old. I would just leave it alone, it will fall off for good next year. Keep your money. If it's on your reports they aren't required to remove it and a paid charge off is still a charge off. 

Message 6 of 11
VadorableY

Thank you for the advice.  So currently the debt is not showing on my report.  But, if SWC decides to add it back, will it still fall off next year?  Does adding the negative info back to the report reset the date that it will fall off the report?

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VadorableY wrote:

Thank you for the advice.  So currently the debt is not showing on my report.  But, if SWC decides to add it back, will it still fall off next year?  Does adding the negative info back to the report reset the date that it will fall off the report?

If they add it back, it will fall off next year. They cannot re-age the debt and must report the original date of first delinquency.

Message 8 of 11
VadorableY

I thoughts so, but wanted to be sure.  Thank you so much!

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you file a complaint with the FCC? I'm in the same situation with Frontier Communications, an old CO for $205 from 2015. I believe it's a billing error from when they bought Verizon Fios and I had canceled services. EQ says it's verified every time I dispute it, they take about 2 days to make this decision so I don't even believe they are investigating anything. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.