Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Fraud/Account Hacked

tag
ambivalent
Established Contributor

Costco Fraud/Account Hacked

Hi!

I just wanted to tell everyone to watch any cards you may have saved in your Costco app. Now, I don't know if it is for sure Costco, but all signs point to it. 

I attempted to make a purchase through the app a few weeks ago but grabbed a card (NFCU) which was expired. I did put the info in and it was declined, obviously. I used my USAA card to complete the purchase. 

About a week later, I checked my junk email box and there was an email saying my information was going to be sold. It included the full number of the expired card, exp date, address, and some old passwords, which match info in my Costco account. It said for me to pay $100 within the next 14 days. 

FF to today...there is an odd Visa Provisioning pending charge for 0.00 on my USAA card. USAA said they can't see anything pending on their end but keep an eye on it and check with my AU. It could be a pre-auth for a subscription service or something to check if the card is active. I don't use that card for online anything, so I'm pointing the finger at Costco. My son said he hasn't used it either. 

Can anyone think of anything else? I've frozen the card in the meantime. 

Thanks!

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Costco Fraud

@ambivalent wrote:

Hi!

I just wanted to tell everyone to watch any cards you may have saved in your Costco app. Now, I don't know if it is for sure Costco, but all signs point to it. 

I attempted to make a purchase through the app a few weeks ago but grabbed a card (NFCU) which was expired. I did put the info in and it was declined, obviously. I used my USAA card to complete the purchase. 

About a week later, I checked my junk email box and there was an email saying my information was going to be sold. It included the full number of the expired card, exp date, address, and some old passwords, which match info in my Costco account. It said for me to pay $100 within the next 14 days. 

FF to today...there is an odd Visa Provisioning pending charge for 0.00 on my USAA card. USAA said they can't see anything pending on their end but keep an eye on it and check with my AU. It could be a pre-auth for a subscription service or something to check if the card is active. I don't use that card for online anything, so I'm pointing the finger at Costco. My son said he hasn't used it either. 

Thanks!

I had someone try and buy a Mac book pro from Costco a few weeks ago, they tried shipping it to an address in Sacramento California. 

Fortunately, Costco sent me an email about my order and was able to cancel the order over the phone before it shipped. For safety reasons, always call the number on the back of your card; not the number in the email (incase the email is a scam -- and never click links).

I suspect that my username and password were compromised in the Samsung breach as their password vault was the only place I had that information saved.

I have since changed every password that was stored with Samsung, and no longer store my password in Samsungs service.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 14
ambivalent
Established Contributor

@chiefone4u wrote:

@ambivalent wrote:

Hi!

Thanks!

I had someone try and buy a Mac book pro from Costco a few weeks ago, they tried shipping it to an address in Sacramento California. 

Fortunately, Costco sent me an email about my order and was able to cancel the order over the phone before it shipped. For safety reasons, always call the number on the back of your card; not the number in the email (incase the email is a scam -- and never click links).

I suspect that my username and password were compromised in the Samsung breach as their password vault was the only place I had that information saved.

I have since changed every password that was stored with Samsung, and no longer store my password in Samsungs service.

Oh yes I never click links or any of that. I called Costco customer service because they do owe me a price adjustment so I thought it may be them, but it isn't. 

It just sucks! This is the first time I've ever ordered anything online from them. I probably won't ever again. 

Message 3 of 14
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

I order from the at least once a month... my closest warehouse is 80 miles away, sometimes it's just easier to have them ship what I need.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Costco Fraud/Account Hacked

@ambivalent

FF to today...there is an odd Visa Provisioning pending charge for 0.00 on my USAA card. USAA said they can't see anything pending on their end but keep an eye on it and check with my AU.

Be aware that USAA was hit by federal agencies on how they handled customer data this March/April 2022 so keep a wary eye that direction.
Message 5 of 14
ambivalent
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@ambivalent

FF to today...there is an odd Visa Provisioning pending charge for 0.00 on my USAA card. USAA said they can't see anything pending on their end but keep an eye on it and check with my AU.

Be aware that USAA was hit by federal agencies on how they handled customer data this March/April 2022 so keep a wary eye that direction.

Thank you for this. Will do!

Message 6 of 14
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@ambivalent  If you think /know your Costco card has been compromised (or might have). Call Citi and have them close this card and send you a replacement card. Also change your password on your app.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

@ambivalent  If you think /know your Costco card has been compromised (or might have). Call Citi and have them close this card and send you a replacement card. Also change your password on your app.

Agree with this, and also keep an eye on your USAA card.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 14
ambivalent
Established Contributor

@AndySoCal  @OmarGB9   I went on and cancelled the card. The provisioning charge is no longer pending, which is more suspicious to me because, according to the interwebs, it should stay on longer before dropping off.  Thank God I check all my accounts every morning or I would have completely missed it.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ambivalent

Follow your concerns and check all accounts too!

Caught a problem two weeks ago! Smiley Sad
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.